Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Without Faith

As I was studying today and reading my devotionals I came across this quote.  It said, 'Remember it is the very time for faith to work when sight ceases'.  And we know that  'without faith it is impossible to please the Lord'.  (Hebrews 11:6)  These words made me think of my great Pastor during the past year.  I watched him come into the church, sometimes in a wheelchair, in order to do the one thing he loved so very much, and that was preach the Word of God.  He would come in just to say "hello" and during that time his words of wisdom would ring throughout the sanctuary.  Many times he would tell us what he was going to preach if he was feeling better.  He would give us the scripture reference, three key points, along with a teaser packed with so much fire that it left you wanting more.  That was the kind of Pastor he was.  His love for God came across in everything he did. Many times he would tell us that he didn't know what tomorrow would bring but he was going to keep on serving God, trusting and believing each and every day. 

As I have stated on many difference occasions, I learned many things from my Pastor.  One thing I learned that has carried me through adversity and uncertainty was to have faith in God.  I used to wonder about Hebrews 11:6.  I wondered why God would say that you could not please Him without faith.  I remember Pops breaking it down for me.  You see, when you don't have faith you are more likely to take the wheel, trying to orchestrate your own outcome as if you know what is best.  You are spending so much time trying to figure out how to fix the situation that you no longer hear the voice of the Lord. You are no longer walking with God; you are walking ahead of Him.  Instead of spending time in the Word and in communion with God, praising Him in advance for what is about to happen, you spend your time worrying.  Think about it for a second.  When you have faith in God , you have the confident assurance that He is going to do what He says He will do.  It isn't about what you can see; instead it is about believing in the Word of God and standing on the promises.  God is the only one who is able to bring help during our most extreme, difficult moments.  The storms of life may be raging and He is able to say peace be still.  Your heart may be broken, only God is able to mend your broken heart.  Even as I write these words I am reminded of a song that simply says,'I don't know about tomorrow.  I just live from day to day.  I don't borrow from its sunshine, cause the skies may turn to gray.  I don't worry about my future, for I know what Jesus said.  And today He walks beside me, for He knows what lies ahead.  Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand. But I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand'.  It's time out for putting your faith in manmade things.  They can be here today and gone tomorrow.  But one thing I know for sure, one who never changes and that is my God.  He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  He promised to be with me through it all and I'm holding Him to it.  When you pray, pray with expectancy!  Know that God hears and He answers prayers.  Ask Him to help you with that urge to take over control.  He can and He will.  Have faith!

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Father I thank you for who You are.  In a world where there is so much change and uncertainty, Lord you are my constant.  I can come to You and I know that everything is going to be okay.  I thank You for not always giving me what I ask for but instead looking down the road to see what is best for me in the long run.  How many times, O Lord, have I moved ahead of your divine plan for my life to what I thought I needed.  Help me not to complain as You work things out on my behalf, instead help me to have faith.  I may not know how things are going to works out but I know that they will work out for my good and for Your glory.  I believe it and I know that it shall be even as You have said.  Thank you for loving me and caring for me in spite of my many faults.  Lord I want to be more like You.  Show me the way.  It is in the precious and wonderful name of Jesus I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment