Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, September 15, 2011

New Math

It is so frustrating some days helping my daughters with their math homework.  Math was my favorite subject in school but this 'new math' is frustrating.  All these extra steps to get to a simple solution.  I have been reading over Pastor Woodberry's sermons about Elijah, specifically a sermon entitled "An Unusual Request taken from I Kings 17:8-11.  In this text you find Elijah at a dried up brook in the midst of a drought. 

'Then the word of the Lord came to him, "Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there.  Behold, I have commanded a widow there to feed you.  So he arose and went to Zarephath.  And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, a widow was there gathering sticks.  And he called to her and said,"Bring me a little water in the vessel, that I may drink.  And as she was going to bring it. he called to her and said. "Bring me a morsel of bread in your hand."  I Kings 17:8-11

The story goes on to say how the widow told Elijah that she only had a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug.  Yet Elijah insisted that the woman make him a cake first and then make something for her and her son.  Now I don't know about you but there have been months where I have looked at my bank account and then listed my bills.  I then looked back at my bank account trying to figure out how I was going to buy groceries and keep the lights on.  And not only was I taking care of myself but there were children who were depending on me as well.  As I look back on the situations now I see how there was not one night that my family went without.  The bank account might have read $0 but the pantry said 'full';  Anybody shouting yet!  When I think about how many times what I saw on paper showed negative but God made it to where I never skipped a beat. I praise God.  You see, God is able to take what we see as a minus and turn it into a positive.  Or as my Pastor said,"You're sitting there looking at the paper and seeing 1+1 =2 and God is looking at it and seeing 1+1 =8.  That's what I call 'New Math'.  'New Math' is where God is able to take our limited resources and turn them into blessings overflowing.

If you read the remainder of the story you find that the widow did as Elijah asked. (Sidenote: Your blessing may be tied to your being obedient to what God or His vessel is telling you.)  She made the cake for Elijah first and afterwards Elijah, the widow and her son ate for days.  'The jar of flour was not spent, neither did the jug of oil become empty (v.16).  Stop stressing about what you don't have and instead start praising God what you do have.  You might not have that perfect job right that pays you for what you are worth.  But you can praise God that the job you do have God has allowed it to stretch to meet your needs.  Someone reading this may be sitting in a house knowing they are behind on their mortgage or driving a car that you know should be repossessed.  Maybe you have been sitting at home wondering when things are going to get better.  I challenge you today to embrace the 'New Math' concept.  Stay obedient to God and His Word.  Put Him first and watch how He fulfills His promises in your life.  Sometimes its hard to see past what is staring you right in your face, the phone ringing, the bills coming in the mail,  the doctor's report, a loveless marriage, a broken relationship.  Just know that God is able to take all those things and turn them around for your good and His glory.  You just have to trust Him! 

Our Father which are in heaven, hallowed be thy name.  Lord I come to You today believing Your promise knowing that if You said it, it will come to pass.  I'm trusting You.  I know in my heart that trouble won't last always and in spite of everything I see, I can still have joy.  Father  I praise You because I know that even though the sky is cloudy right now, the sun will shine again.  Lord I am asking you to remove all distractions...both people and things...that stop me from living in Your will.  Thank you for answering my prayer.  I will continue to give Your name the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment