Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Time For A Makeover

So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel.  But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. Jeremiah 18:3-4

I have a question for you?  Are you happy with your life right now?  Good, bad or indifferent...it is your life.  Or is it?  As a child of God I could make a pretty convincing argument that your life is not your own. I'll start by telling you part of my story.  There I was going through the motions of life when all of a sudden I ran smack dab into the walls of change.  Little by little everything I had come to know and tolerate was shifting.  It wasn't just that expected shift of growing up.  It was more like crack, drop, break, mold and reshape.  Kind of like the Rice Krispie theme...'Snap, Crackle, Pop'. I know that when I accepted Christ as my Savior that He became Lord of my life.  I knew that some things were going to have to change.  What I didn't know (or like very much for that matter) was that He was going to change some things that I thought were alright.  Actually I had grown kind of comfortable with these things.  I know my moods and how to handle them.  I had developed a pretty good method of how to deal with my pet peeves and those little things that irritate me.  Now my methods may not have all the 'Christian' way but it worked for me.  I didn't ask Him to change my friends or my job.  As a matter of fact I remember praying for the specific things I wanted to be changed. 

The older I get the more I go through these phases where I don't like anything about myself.  I get tired of the way I look.  I don't like anything in my closet. So I call my beautician.  I cut my hair off and then I grow it back.  I call my guy at the MAC make-up counter and schedule a session.  I buy a new outfit and a pair of shoes and the makeover is complete.  Now only if my life were that simple.  Unfortunately there are some things on the inside of me that need a lot of work.  These things are not easily identifiable so I must leave the work in the hands of the one who knows the most intimate details of my life. The good, the bad and the ugly. You see when I have control over my own makeover I may change something that may not need changing.  I might also keep something the same that needs to be removed.  I can't see that friend who stabs me in the back, but God can.  I may not be aware of the way I speak down to my husband, as if I am a know-it-all, but God is.  After all, He made me.  He knows just what I need to be the vessel He designed me to be.  I may not always be on the right track.  I need some extra guidance.  I need those people around me who are going to encourage me to do the right thing.  Those that know that I am stubborn and the only way I am going to change is through prayer. 

So let me ask the question again that I asked in the beginning?  'Are you happy with your life right now?  Even if the answer is YES, just know that at any point in time the Master Builder has the right to change anything about you anytime He sees fit.  So be prepared for a makeover.  Although it may be a painful process, the results will be 'runway ready awesome'!  All you have to do is submit to His will. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I stand before You today, humble.  I admit that the plans that I have for my life have not always been the best.  I have been stubborn and disobedient.  Today I submit to Your will.  Mold me and make me after thy will.  For your thoughts are not my thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.  Examine me Lord and whatever You find that is not like You please take it away.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment