Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stress Management

I have a confession to make. "I do not deal well with stress."  I am by nature someone who internalizes things.  I keep things built up on the inside and then I have days where I tend to explode.  Now this is not a typical explosion where I blow up on everyone around me.  This explosion is usually in the privacy of my car or my bathroom where I just cry uncontrollably.  I've tried different methods to deal with this stress, i.e. massages,self-help books, therapy, boxing...none of which worked.  The massage felt great and it felt good to talk to a total stranger without being judged, I still went home stressed.  The boxing was the best because it helped me to lose a little weight and have great energy...but still not the cure for my stress.  But the time has come for me to stop carrying around this burden. 

Stress has become a regular part of our lives.  We take on the stress of our families and our jobs.  We stress about finances and the future.  We carry stress around like a hump on a camel.  The difference is that a camel is meant to have a hump.  The hump is necessary to the camel for survival.  As Christians we are not meant to carry stress.  Jesus said, 'I have come that ye might have life and have it more abundantly. (John 10:10)  But do we live life abundantly?  I know I don't always.  I sit around and worry sometimes just as those who have no hope even though I know better.  I am saved.  I trust God.  I have faith.  In fact this past year has helped to grow my faith.  I have been placed in certain situations and instead of stressing to the max, I prayed.  I turned it over to God and let Him handle it.  After all, He is much more capable.  Over and over again in the Bible we are told to turn it over to Jesus. You know the verses.

I Peter 5:7, 'Cast our cares upon him for he careth for you'.

Psalm 55:22, 'Give your burdens to the LORD, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall'.
 
Hebrews 4:15-16, 'For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need'.
 
Matthew 11:28-30,  "Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
 
So how do we deal with the stress of life.  Give it to God!  Stop carrying around unnecessary burdens.  We fill up our time in an attempt to give ourselves peace and contentment and for what?  Without God our life has no real purpose.  Have you noticed that no matter how much you work to achieve your heart's desire, you only want more?  That's why we must prioritize.  Seek ye first the kingdom of God...Matthew 6:33. No matter what you facing God has the answer.  There is no problem too big or too small.  Let Him work it out.  And remember it is not always about God removing the storm even though He has the power.  I believe that God shows His power best when He sustains you through the storm.  Stop stressing and start seeking....God is not a man that He should lie.  All of His promises are Yes and Amen.  Trust Him.  The God you serve is faithful!
 
 Most Gracious Heavenly Father,
 
Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change. I need to remember that there is a purpose behind the pain. No matter how big the mountain, you O Lord have the power to move mountains.  Help me to stand on Your promise that says 'all things work together for the good of them who love the Lord'.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment