Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Over and Over

Then Peter came to him and asked, "Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?" "No, not seven times," Jesus replied, "but seventy times seven!
 (Matthew 18:21-22, NLV)

Why am I always getting placed in these situations where I have to be the bigger person?  Having my kindness mistaken for weakness.  Just because I am a Christian and I am trying to live right, to control my temper and my tongue, I am constantly placed in situations where I am tested.  I don't ask for much.  To be loved and respected.  To be treated as those I come in contact with want to be treated.  Yet, here I stand once again in a situation where I have to forgive.  "Again, Lord," I cry out.  And in a calm but quiet voice He says, "Yes my child, again."  But it is so unfair. 

I can only imagine what was going through Peter's mind when He asked Jesus this question.  I bet He was hoping Jesus said once, maybe twice.  Instead he replied, "Seventy times seven."  490 times!  That is alot.  But today I had a reality check.  In thirty-seven years I can only imagine how many times God has forgiven me.  Let me see...at least daily. So that's 37 times 365 days a year.  That's 13,505.  Now what about those days I sinned more than once in a day.  While my heart may be sad when someone does me wrong and breaks my heart, I can't stop thinking about how my actions sadden God.  And after all that He has done for me.  Not once has He stopped loving me or turned His back on me.  Yet and still, here I am holding something over my brother or sister's head.  Maybe I did forgive, that doesn't stop the wall from being built up around my heart.

Now I am not saying that it is going to be easy but what I am saying is that 'forgiveness is possible'.  You may have to pray and ask God to help you to forgive depending on the severity of the offense.  Just remember that God specializes in the impossible.  He can do what no other power can do.  One of the most valuable lessons that I have learned is that 'forgiveness is a gift'.  This gift is not for the person who offended you but it is for you.  If you are having difficulty forgiving someone, construct a resume.  Not of your qualifications but of your imperfections.  These are the things that you pray and ask God to forgive on a daily basis.  Those things that you can't seem to shake.  When you write down those things down you remember that you are but a filthy rag.  A sinner saved by grace.  Once you really comprehend the grace and mercy of God, your heart should soften and you will be more apt to forgive those that do you wrong.  If you find yourself still struggling with this, pray about it.  God still answers prayer!

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your forgiveness.  When I look in the mirror and see all my imperfections I realize how grateful I am to be a recipient of your grace and mercy.  Help me to forgive those that do my wrong.  I want to be able to keep no record of wrongs so that I can love as You love.  I want to have good relationships with my family and my friends.  I don't want to be so closed of from those who made a mistake like I have done and desire to make a change.  Help me not to judge their sincerity.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment