Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, March 28, 2011

A Love Like That

Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins.. I Peter 4:8 (NLV)

Because I read my Bible and study God's word, pray on a regular basis, and attend church pretty regularly does not make me any better than you.  If my attitude or behavior makes me appear to be superior than I am not behaving in a way that represents God the way He wants me to.  I am not loving in a way that shows that I am but a sinner saved by grace.  Each and every day I still fall short.  I have to confess my sins daily.  My path to heaven may not be the same as yours but that is not important. What is important is that we all make it to heaven.  What a sad day it will be if those that I come in contact with on a regular basis do not see a consistent display of God's love shining through in my life on a daily basis. Will I be responsible for hindering someone from wanting to be saved? To experience the unconditional love of such an awesome God.

Love is an important part of being a Christian.  As we aspire to be more like God in the way we walk, in the way we talk, in the way we live, and in the way we give, we cannot achieve this without giving the love of God generously.  This love is not to be withheld as a bargaining tool to try to get someone to see things our way.  It should not be given only to those that look like us or meet certain standards.  This love should be given to the homeless person on the street corner, the husband/wife you share a bed with and to the boss/co-worker that you see on a daily basis.  One of the most difficult aspects of love for a Christian is forgiveness.  After a while I believe that we become ungrateful to God for the forgiveness that we receive. His grace and His mercy as well.  We stop having compassion for those around us.  We decide when someone should be better and how many chances they have to get it right.  This is a very common mistake of believers.  I have a couple of questions for you.  "Who died and left you both judge and jury?"  Another question would be "What if God treated you the same way you are treating your brother or your sister?"  These questions should make you think.  They should prompt you to want to be better.  They should make your re-evaluate some things about your life. 

I love the verse written above.  The first two words of the passage lets you know how important love is.  The writer tells us that above all else, LOVE.  True love to another makes us kind to his imperfections, charitable toward his faults, and often blind even to the existence of faults. We would not see the imperfections of those whom we love; and our attachment for what we esteem their real excellencies, makes us insensible to their errors. Have you ever been broken maybe because of the that comes from the Lord and someone extends to you the love of God. They welcome you back into the fold and let you know that everything is going to be alright. How did you feel.  We have all been in a position where we have felt unworthy to receive the love of God and oh what a wonderful feeling when He wraps his arms around us anyway saying, 'My child, I love you."  As followers of Christ we should be no different.  No matter how much they hurt or mistreat you, we are called to LOVE.  For love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. (I Corinthians 13:4-5) Maybe you don't understand that why you have been mistreated and maybe in the past your response has been to get even.  I challenge you today to give it to God.  Ask God to help you to show love, real love.  Not the kind of love that is dependent upon circumstance but a love that comes from knowing that God loves you.  That should be the difference maker. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Lord help me to love like you love.  To forgive like you forgive.  To keep no record of wrongs.  To be patient with those around me.  Help me to remember that but for the love, the grace and the mercy you have extended to me, I am but a sinner unworthy of your blessings.  I thank You for Your Son, Jesus who was sent to die on the cross for my sins, because He loved me,  Let me never forget where I came from.  I will be so careful to give You all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment