Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Interruptions

I do not like to be interrupted.  When my mind is set on completing a task whether it be reading a book or writing a paper, watching a movie, eating dinner, I want to finish what I started.  Unfortunately this is not the way my life has been.  Instead there are times that I feel like my life is just one big interruption.  The minute I start down one path or make plans to do something new, life throws a curve ball.  Now normally I would have thrown a big tantrum and let every one around me know how unhappy I was.  But I have learned over time that an interruption is a setup for divine intervention.  It is at this moment that God shows up and reminds you that 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty (Zechariah 4:6)  I can do nothing by my own strength but I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. (Phil. 4:13)  I had to learn that even though my short-term goals may say this and my long-term goals may say that, if it is not what God has planned for my life at that moment then get ready for an interruption. 

When I think of interruptions I am reminded of one of the most important moments in history.  You know the story.  Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise,when his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph,  before they came together she was found with child by the Holy Spirit.  (Matthew 1:18)  Talk about an interruption. Think about Mary sitting at home one day working on wedding details and all of a sudden she starts having morning sickness and her body starts changing.  She starts thinking.  "How am I going to be able to fit into my wedding dress?"  Then real panic kicks in.   Engaged to be married and then you have to go to your husband and say, "Oh by the way, I'm pregnant and the baby is not yours."  You may not have had anything as drastic happen in your life but I think that I can stand on firm ground saying that you have had some interruptions.  Maybe a child out of wedlock.  A sudden illness.  A divorce.  In-laws have to move in.  Child has to move  back home with your grandchildren.  None of these things planned. 

So how do you deal with interruptions?  What does the Bible have to say about situations like the ones listed above?  Above all else, TRUST GOD.  He has His hands on you.  Whatever the situation He will see you through and your life will be better.  I know that it doesn't seem like it right now.  You had plans.  But right now your plans don't matter.  You must learn to look at the big picture.  'For I know the plans that I have for you, says the Lord.  Plans to prosper and not to harm you.  Plans to give you hope and a future'.  Mary and Joseph may have sat around thinking how are we going to deal with this.  Mary was probably embarrassed.  Joseph upset.  But they dealt with it.  They trusted God and stuck it out.  I can only imagine the bond that was created.  An even deeper bond than the one they had before.  I can hear Joseph saying, "Baby it was rough but I'm glad we are hear together.  Our love is stronger.  Now we know we can make it through anything."  You have to be the same way.  It is not about understanding everything.  (Say it again...aloud this time)  "It is not about understanding everything."  When God created the heavens, where were you?  He know what He is doing.  All you have to do is trust Him.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I must admit that I don't know what is going on right now.  Things were going so smoothly and now this.  But I am going to trust You Lord.  I know that you have plans to prosper and not to harm me, plans to give me hope and a future, so I am calling on You Lord.  I give You complete control.  Thank You for caring enough about me to order my steps and direct my path.  I will continue to give You all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus' Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment