Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Be Careful What You Say

Death and life are in the power of the tongue.  Proverbs 18:21

As a child I remember singing a song called 'Oh Be Careful'.  It was a simple song with a powerful meaning.  It reminded me to 'be careful little mouth what you say for the Father up above is looking down in love, oh be careful little mouth what you say'.  Now one person may see this as a children's song with no real meaning.  However, I disagree.  When you are a child you can still be shaped and molded into the image of the one who influences you the most.  As an adult once you are saved you are influenced by God but a little more work has to take place because we have learned to really exercise our free will.  A recent experience in my life speaks to this very subject.  I was reminded how quickly a simple conversation can turn into a huge forest fire.  How the words I speak can do more damage than intended?  Maybe you can relate.  There I was responding to a question.  Simple enough.  The problem was I didn't  think the question needed to be asked.  So immediately I became defensive and a simple conversation turned into a heated argument.  I begin to say things that were hurtful to protect myself. It wasn't until later that day, after I had prayed about it, did I realize the damage that had been done.  There I was instead of encouraging and building up, I was tearing down.  Instead of blessing, I was cursing.  There I was putting a nail in the coffin one word at a time. 

But thank God for the throne of grace where I can find mercy in my time of need.  I begin to pray and while praying I was convicted.  I knew what had to be done.  I had to apologize and ask for forgiveness.  This situation right here was one of my more positive experiences.  I have had many other experiences where instead of praying and turning it over to God I let things fester. I let the situation grow into something a lot bigger than it was.  I knew that I was right and the other person was wrong.  It was there job to come to me and apologize.  It was my job to tell them what I thought, no matter how damaging.  Maybe you have had a similar experience where a simple conversation grew into a heated argument with words being said that did more damage than you intended.  Or maybe you intended to do the damage and feel no regret.  Whatever the case may be I want to encourage you to talk to God about it.  Ask Him to examine your heart.  What were your motives?  Whether you believe it or not your behavior influences somebody.  It might be a child, your spouse, a friend, or a babe in Christ.  They are watching to see what your response will be.  So 'be careful little mouth what you say for the Father up above is looking down in love, oh be careful little mouth what you say'.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Examine my heart and reveal those things that are not like You.  Bridle my tongue and let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight.  Show me those that I may need to apologize to and help me not to be stubborn and to take the first step.  Help me to use words that build up and not tear down.  All these things I ask in Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment