Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Watch God Work!

Time and time again I have seen the power of God manifest itself in my life and in the life of those around me.  There is nothing more wonderful than seeing things happen in your life that you know only God could have done.  When I was a child I was not as aware.  The only examples I had of God at work were from the Bible stories I read in our Blue Bible story set.  Mama and daddy made me read those books backwards and forwards.  Stories like when the Israelites crossed the Red Sea on dry land or when Daniel was in the lion's den and came out untouched.  What about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace!  They came out of the fire and didn't even smell like smoke.  That is definitely God at work!  Then we have Joshua and the battle of Jericho...their praises made the walls tumble down to the ground.  Evidence that God will fight your battles for you.  There are many other stories but none so great as the Resurrection where he raised up Jesus from the dead with all power in His hands. 

I am no longer amazed at the power of God and what He can do because I have come to expect it.  I expect that when I pray, God will answer every time.  There is no greater evidence of this in my life than when He allowed me to be able to forgive those who had caused such pain in my life and even better than that, forgive myself. I couldn't move forward holding on to the guilt I felt and the way I felt like such a failure. I don't even think about the pain anymore.  You know why?  Because if I had not experienced that pain I would not have the relationship with God that I have today.  One of the mother's of my church asked me a few days ago if I was happy.  I didn't have to think about it.  I said "Yes" immediately.  No matter what the devil throws in my path I know that God is still on the throne.  I am going to continue to praise Him and glorify His name because He is worthy!  Again it is a choice that I make.  He has made me more aware of the fact that my fight is not against flesh and blood and the closer I become to God the more the devil is going to try and come up against me.  That is why I must always be prepared through prayer and by studying His Word.  His Word says 'that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus'. (Philippians 1:6)  And you can rest on this promise!  My God is not a man that He should lie.  Whatever God has spoken, it will come to pass.  Once you come to this realization, you will come to such a place of peace in your life that things just don't bother you.  You are able to praise God before the storm, in the storm and after the storm. 

God is always at work!  And our lives are the evidence.  I have never had a serious illness but when I look in the mirror I tell myself everyday, "Baby, you are looking at a miracle. "  I don't know what God may have taken you through during your life but I will tell you that He is not through with you.  He is always working things out for your good.  'And we know that everything that comes my way, the good and the bad,  is being carefully orchestrated and mapped out for my benefit because I love the Lord God with all my heart, soul and mind and because God has chosen me as a vessel to bring about His purpose. (Romans 8:28 - my paraphrase)  Yes, I still have struggles.  Yes, I still question God at times.  But doubt doesn't overshadow what I know in my heart.  And what I know in my heart is that God is bigger.  He is bigger than any problem that I might face, any person who tries to sneak in and steal my joy.  “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. (Psalms 18:2) Everything I need I can find it him.  And when I pray to Him for direction, He helps me and He surrounds me with people who are there to lift me up and not tear me down.  Don't be deceived, the people around you play a big part in how your relationship grows with God.  Don't be surrounded by negative people.  Surround yourself with people who are going to encourage you. Those individuals who will remind you to keep trusting God...that the Lord will make away.  Some relationships can be very toxic and I am witness to the fact that misery loves company.  They are your friends just so long as you are in your storm but when God delivers you, you will find that you really don't have much in common.  Yes, you continue to show them the Love of Christ and you pray for them but you don't allow them to be the voice in your head.  You have the Holy Spirit for that.  Just remember that it is God that is working in you, both to will and to do of His good pleasure(Phil 2:13) Once again there is that word 'work'.  I like to say it this way..."God is exerting a sustained effort to help me overcome obstacles and achieve His divine purpose."   The only question I have for you is will you submit to Him and allow Him to work in your life? 

Dear Lord,


I just want to start today by saying 'Thank you'.  Thank you for being my Rock, my Fortress, my Deliver and most importantly my God.  The one in whom I can always trust.  I thank you because in spite of me, you haven't given up on me.  I could have been dead a long time ago, if you had given me what I deserved, but Your hand of mercy, O God, saw fit to give me another chance to live a life that is pleasing in Your sight.  God I surrender all to You.  Open up my eyes so that I can see the doors you have opened for me. Open up my ears so that I can hear Your voice as it leads me in the right direction.  Bridle my tongue so that I may only speak blessings and not curses on those I come in contact with.  Guide my feet that I may walk down the path you have mapped out for me.  Lord, let all these things be done so that your name be glorified.  It is in the Wonderful Name of Jesus I pray Amen. 

2 comments: