Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Spiritual Maintenance

It's time for the oil to be changed on my truck.  Getting the oil changed every three to four thousand miles is essential to the proper performance of my vehicle.  Although I know that this is something that needs to be done, I can't tell you how many times I have put off and neglected going to have my oil changed.  I did this one time to the extent that it hurt my pocketbook and something minor soon turned in to some major mechanical work.  It made me think of how often I allow things to blow up out of proportion.  Yesterday's carelessness (neglect), today's crisis.  All the times I allowed a petty difference to blow up into a major argument.  How a simple rain storm quickly became a major thunderstorm. Do you know how most house fires start...from the distraction of everyday life.  Everything has a sense of urgency except what we need to take care of. 

Let's take a look at this from a spiritual perspective.  Matthew 6:33, 'Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you'.  Yet when the time comes for me to read and study God's Word and commune with my Heavenly Father, I become so easily distracted and simple maintenance of my relationship with God goes undone.  This simple neglect leaves me unprepared to perform the work God has designed for me to do.  I am totally unprepared for battle.  I am , in fact, setting myself up for an unfair fight.  The thing that I am kicking myself about is that all of this could have been avoided if I had just done the maintenance.  Spiritual maintenance requires honest examination, confession and repentance.  We must allow ourselves to be transformed by the renewing of our minds.  Spiritual maintenance is necessary for us to operate properly and efficiently.   'For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do'.  Ephesians 2:10  As children of God we should not be shaken up everytime we are faced with trials and tribulations.  If you are doing your maintenance and being filled up with God's Word you would know that 'the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing'.  James 1:3-4  I don't know about you but I am tired of minor situations becoming major obstacles in my life all because I am not standing on the Word of God and believing what He has said, knowing that God won't put more on me than I can bear.  He knows the most intimate details about me and knows just the right amount of pressure to apply, after all He designed me.  I am going to commit to doing the work....checking my self in for my maintenance appointment.  Asking God to 'Search me and know my heart!  Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting'.  Psalms 139: 23-24

Dear Lord,

How excellent is thy name in all the earth.  Oh Lord, you are my refuge and my strength, a very present help in time of trouble.  Lord, I confess that I have neglected to abide in You and Your Word so that when I ask anything it will be done.  I have caused minor situations to become major obstacles in my life that have kept me from doing the work you have designed for me to do.  I am so thankful that you are a forgiving God and one who will always be with me guiding and directing my life so that I am aware of when I do make a mistake or fall short you are there to lift me up.  Thank you Lord for your goodness and your mercy.  I am standing firm on your Word that when I seek You first ALL these things will be added unto me.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Ramona:

    Wonderful !! I need to here this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so guilty of the very thing but I am getting better. It is so important to make sure that I am prepared because the devil is always trying to come up against the Saints of God. Regular maintenance keeps our engines revved up and on fire for God.

    ReplyDelete