Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, October 4, 2010

By Our Love

I remember someone asking me once, "How can you tell if someone is a Christian?"  The response was simple..."You will know they are Christians by their love."  The reason for this answer is because God is the essence of love.  Love is inherent in everything He does.  And because you are His child and you have accepted Him as your personal Lord and Savior, the love of Christ should flow out of you in everything that you do.  This is an area where I have struggled in the past, especially when someone hurts me.  It is not as easy to reciprocate God's love to that individual.  But I must.  It is not an option.  One thing that helped me is that I begin to look at the withholding of God's love to others as being selfish.  When have I ever lived a good enough life to be the recipient of God's love? NEVER!  I am better than I used to be but who made me judge and jury to decide if someone else was worthy enough to receive.  Showing God's love should be a practice.  A habit.  It is not something that you should be able to turn off and on.  Because the blood of Jesus is running in your veins, you have received His very nature. The scripture says in I John 4:7, 'Beloved, let us love one another, for love is (springs) from God; and he who loves [his fellowmen] is begotten (born) of God and is coming [progressively] to know and understand God [to perceive and recognize and get a better and clearer knowledge of Him]'. 
 
As Christians we say alot of things.  But if your walk doesn't match your talk, then your witness is tainted.  There are some people who cross your path that you may never get to verbally witness to, however if the life that you live shows the love of Christ then your witness is still going forth.  That co-worker that goes out of their way to do things to steal your joy.  That so-called friend who smiles in your face and then turns around and talks behind your back.  That family member who just can't seem to get their life together and is always coming to you with their drama.  These are the people who need Jesus the most.  And if you give back to them what they are giving to you, then where is God?  I have heard people say, "Well, God understands."  I am sure He does.  Think about what he had to endure when one of His very own disciples betrayed Him.  Do you not realize that Jesus could have caused something bad to happen to Judas?  Yet, he continued to show him love.  When Jesus stood before Pilate and was being accused of things, He never opened His mouth.  When he stood up on that old rugged cross, even unto death, He was still showing the love of Christ to the thief hanging beside Him, when we said "Today you will be with me in paradise."  This was during His most difficult moment and He was still thinking of others.  We could make all the excuses in the world to justify our behavior but God has been to good to all of us for us not to be obedient to His Word.  We have all been done wrong and we have all done somebody else wrong.  Remember what Jesus said when they brought the woman before Him to be stoned.  "He who is without sin, cast the first stone."  Not a rock was thrown. 
 
It all goes back to your relationship with God. As you spend time with Him and come to understand all the ways He open doors for you, how He forgives your sins and remember them no more.  The way He gives you unconditional love. It doesn't matter what you look like, what neighborhood you live in, what car you drive or what clothes you wear.  As a matter of fact, He loved us first. Why do you think He sent His Son?  And then to think about the way He grants you new mercies every morning.  He withholds from you the punishment you actually deserve.  And the simple way He just decided to give you grace, God's unmerited favor.  You could never live good enough to deserve it. It's time out for being selfish.  It's time to let people see the God you serve in the way you talk, by the way you walk.  Your life should be a reflection of the love of God.  God never said that it would be easy.  Just remember you always have a choice.  And furthermore, God is always right there beside you guiding you and the Holy Spirit is there whispering in your ear the ways of the Lord, reminding you what the scripture says.  One of my favorite verses says it best.  I recite it often when making a decision about something.  You  know this verse.  It's Proverbs 3:5-6.  I like to paraphrase it this way,  'Rely on the integrity, strength and ability of God and never depend on what I think I should do, but consult the Lord in all everything and He will show me how to correctly live my life. 
 
Dear Lord,
 
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.  I must admit that it is not the easiest thing in the world to love those that seem unlovable, to bless those that despitefully use me.  But I trust your Word which tells me that I am to love my sister and my brother not based on how they behave but because You live inside of me.  And although this may seem difficult at times I know that I can do it because 'greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.  I know that if your word says it than it is possible because 'nothing is impossible with you. So Lord guide my feet, bridle my tongue when necessary.  Let all things be done so that I am a witness for You.  I pray this prayer in Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Ramona:

    It is very hard to love your sister and brother when you know that they are not right but you have to trust in God.Because greater is He that is in me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is but when you think of the way He is able to love you in spite of you it becomes a little more easier.

    ReplyDelete