Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Patient Endurance

I can make it.   At least that is what I keep telling myself.  I believe everything the Word says. I know that God can and He will, that He is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all I could ever ask or think.  But sometimes depending on the severity of the hardship, I still feel like giving up.  Times like this when I feel like giving up I have to go into my spiritual treasure chest and find a gem.  What's a gem? It's those verses that are invaluable to me.  They have become priceless because of what these verses have given me in some of my most trying times.  It's a Word that will help me make it just a little while longer.  Although I have been adding quite a few new verses to my treasure chest, this particular verse I had to dig down deep to find. 

'There hath no temptation taken you but such as man can bear: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation make also the way of escape, that ye may be able to endure it.  I Corinthians 10:13

In other words, I can make it.  No matter how bad it looks, God is going to give me what I need to make it just a little while longer.  Most people when they talk about temptation they refer to sexually immoral sin - adultery, pre-marital sex, drinking, drugs, etc.  I contend that one of the biggest temptations Christians face is 'feeling like giving up'.  And who knew that we would suffer this temptation better than God. His own son must have felt like giving up a thousand times.  He, who did no wrong.  Now I can't compare my life to that of Jesus Christ.  I know that I have done plenty of wrong, but for the most part I try to live a good life, one that is pleasing in the sight of God.  The thing that still trips me up sometimes is when bad things happen to good people.  Just this week, my dad and I were talking about this very thing.  The age old question of why hardships seem to increase during those times when I am actually traveling along the right path.  It's so discouraging sometimes. It should come as no surprise to me though.  The Bible tells us that 'in this world we will have tribulations but take heart, I have overcome the world'. John 16:33 This verse doesn't say if we have tribulations.  It says we will. 

Everytime I read this verse one word pops up in my mind and that is 'Endurance'.  What is endurance?  The ability to carry on through, despite hardships.  To suffer patiently without yielding. This, my friend, is no easy task.  Not many people can keep on smiling and praising God in spite of everything that is going on in their life.  In fact, when I become stressed, I'm also frustrated.  I'm not the nicest person to be around and I am definitely not the poster child for the Fruits of the Spirit.  You better be careful if you are around me because I just might fly off the handle.  Thanks be to God the Father, that He tempers that spirit of frustration.  He calms my anxiety.  He gives me an outlet in His Word.  He gives me the ability to call His name which calms my fears.  No matter where I am or what the circumstance He is always there, providing a way out for me.  I'm not talking about a way out of my circumstance, because He might have it that I am there just a little while longer.  But He does provide a way out of the misery in my mind.  He provides a focus on that which is positive instead of negative.  He gives me hope and a peace that surpasses all understanding.  How is God able to do this when I have apparently shown such little faith in Him.?  Because God is love and I Corinthians 13:7 tells me that love endures.  Because of this fact, how could I ever think about giving up on God when He hasn't given up on me?

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you today for your love.  I thank You because I know that because of Your love for me, You haven't given up on me.  You continue to provide strength in my time of weakness. You uphold me with Your right hand.  Lord, I know that my sufferings are producing endurance and endurance character and character, hope.  All these things so that You, O Lord can get the glory and so that I will receive a crown of righteousness.  I know that I may not be able to see the finish line but I know that I can keep on running with You by my side.  Please give me the strength that I need to run this race just a little while longer.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Right. On. Time.

    Lord, thank you for Ramona.

    Ramona, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Michele. I needed this today. I am glad God knows what we need.

    ReplyDelete