Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Heart Maintenance

'Create in me a clean heart O God and renew a right spirit within me'. (Psalms 51:1) This a prayer I say every day. Why? Because I keep discovering things about myself I didn't know. I realize that there are things that I thought I had given to God and was free from that kept resurfacing somehow. I thought I had been delivered from that spirit of anger but just yesterday I snapped at the smallest thing. When I look back on it, it wasn't even that big of a deal. I became so very frustrated with myself. There have also been other emotions that have crept in at different times like bitterness, selfishness, resentment. So it is imperative that I continuosly ask God to clean my heart.

Over time layers had built up on my heart. Everytime my heart was broken...a new layer. Everytime a friend talked about me behind my back...a new layer. Everytime somebody was mean to me, said things to hurt me, left me....layer upon layer upon layer was being added. Over the years my heart had been polluted by things I saw in relationships other than my own. For example, it was very painful for me when my parents divorced. So many things that cause my heart to be unclean and only God could peel away those layers. So how do we get our layers to disappear? My first answer is always prayer. I have seen what prayer can do. Things have a way of just sneaking into our minds causing negative thoughts and emotions. That is why we are told to 'Pray continuously. (I Thess. 5:17) We just can't do it by ourselves. We have to have a mind for prayer. I don't know about you but I can usually feel that spirit sneaking up on me and if I can I will pray aloud but if not I will start to pray in my spirit. I ask God to come in and take control of my mind, fix my heart and bridle my tongue. I work diligently to guard my heart because out of it flows the issues of life. (Prov. 4:23)

Now let's take this a step further how do you guard your heart? With the Word of God. 'For the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Heb. 4:12)The Word of God has the power to peel back those layers. It's funny how the Word has a way of bringing out what is truly in your heart. What I like about it though is that it not only reveals but restores. We must take the time to listen to what is being revealed to us during our quiet time in prayer and study. It doesn't help if you simply read and pray but don't take some time to listen to what God is saying ot you. I am still in awe of how the Word will bring something to my attention and I find myself confessing that sin to the Lord immediately. Sin will hinder you receiving a clean heart. It will cause your heart to be hardened and God doesn't want that. He wants us to have a broken heart and a contrite spirit. (Ps. 51:17) This is not talking about the sorrow you feel from losing someone but it is the natural consequence of a person’s recognizing and admitting his own sins and imperfections. Because of this realization you turn to the only one who is able to do anything about it....God Almighty. If you are experiencing this same struggle, I encourage you today to turn to God. Start praying Psalms 51:1 daily. Begin to study God's Word. Confess your sins to Him. Slowly the layers will start to fall off and you will have a clean heart. But remember, once you receive this clean heart it is important to maintain it. Remember the children's song we learned...Oh be careful little eyes what you see. Oh be careful little ears what you hear. Oh be careful little feet where you go. Stand guard!

Dear Lord,


Create in me a clean heart. Take a good look at my heart God and remove anything that is not of You. Take away anything that is hindering me from being all that you would have me to be. I confess that I am still struggling with all kinds of negative emotions. (Confess each on individually.) Help me to study Your Word diligently. Whatever may be stopping me from reading your Word, Lord I ask you to remove it. Help me to always have a mind and a heart to seek you first no matter what may be going on in my life. I thank you for answering prayer. In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment