Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, May 10, 2010

Who's Standing Guard?

Have you heard the saying 'you are what you eat' and 'if you put nothing but garbage in, then you will get nothing but garbage out'. Who in your life have you become a permanent dumping ground for? Have you become so consumed with negative thoughts that you walk around with a bad attitude all day, every day?

The Bible tells us in Phillipians 4:8-9, "And now, dear brothers and sisters, let me say one more thing as I close this letter, Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned from me and heard from me and saw me doing, and the God of peace will be with you". I would suggest that you read the all of Phillipians Chapter 4. Right before Paul talks to us about our thoughts he tells us not to worry about anything but in everything with prayer and petition present your requests to God and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. I don't know about you but most of my negative thought come from worrying. I worry about whether or not I am going to pass my test. I worry about whether or not I'm going to have enough finances to pay my bills for the month. I worry about my family. And not only do I sometimes let those thoughts consume me but I also allow the worries of others to consume me as well. Then on top of that I have the thoughts that don't have anything to do with the worries of life but just with the people and things that frustrate me. And once I start to think one negative thing it amazes me how much it grows.

What I must learn to do is guard my heart against those thoughts of negativity. I have to learn how to bring those thoughts under submission to the Lord. I must pray daily, and sometimes several times a day to ask God to take over my mind and fill my heart with things above. I must change my diet from that of junk to that of the Word of God. I have to stop answering the phone for those people who I know never have anything good to say about anything or anybody. I must think about the things that are excellent and praiseworthy. Did you know that if you make it a point to thing about the things God has done for you even before you start to tell him about your problems that most of the time you will forget about your problems? Stop allowing negativity to consume your heart and your mind.

This week I challenge you, don't allow those normal thoughts of negativity to creep into your mind. Begin each day with prayer and submit your thoughts to God. Even in your darkest hour you can always find a reason to praise the Lord. He's been just that good.

Dear Lord,

It's just so natural for me to worry but I don't want to do it anymore. I don't like how I behave when I let those thoughts consume me. It doesn't make me a very nice person. (Take a moment and tell God those things that you are worried about.) Today, I submit all of those thoughts to you, my worries, my feelings of frustration. I ask you to stand guard at the gate of my heart and my mind. Thank you Lord for your insulation power. In the most Wonderful Name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment