Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Human Nature vs. Spiritual Nature

There is a question that I have pondered for a while - Why are people so quick to spread bad news and not good news?  One person finds something out about someone and it spreads like a wild fire.  I have been told it's just human nature.  And while this may be true for the unbeliever, what about when it's us, the saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost individuals spreading the bad news.  And the news we are spreading is about another saved individual.  We are born into this world with human nature but when we are born again our nature should be more like that of Christ. 

How do we accomplish this seemingly impossible task?  How do we control our human nature?  You know those natural tendencies to think negative thoughts, spread gossip, react in anger, etc.  The Bible tells us to 'let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus'. (Philippians 2:5) And last week we talked about the fact that we must always have our armor on in order to fight against the devil.  So is this really all we have to do?  Is it really that simple? Yes it is.  My grandmother used to always tell me, 'If you know better than you ought to do better'.  II Timothy 3:16 tells us that 'all scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right'.  As we journey to know God better and we dig deeper into his Word we replace our nature for the very nature of God.  Our responses to the situations of life become reflective of our Lord and Saviour.  We don't have to ask, What would Jesus Do?  We already know and we act accordingly.  What benefit is given from you tearing someone else down?  James 5:16b tells us to 'pray ye one for another that ye may be healed'.  Have you every thought what would happen if every time you found out some negative information about someone or someone comes to you with some gossip or unfavorable information about another person, you stopped and prayed?  All I can say is WOW!  What a change would come about in the world today. 

This post may not reach the entire world but for those that it does reach today, I challenge you.  I challenge you that for the rest of the week, each and every time you are faced with the temptation to say a bad word about someone else, PRAY!  As much as I've tried to change things on my own, situations and circumstances and, yes, even people, I have failed.  But one thing I know that has brought about change is prayer.  Just try it.  You see, those people I tried to change and failed I started to pray for and truth be told I don't know if they changed, but I know I did! Accept the challenge and see what I mean!

Dear Lord,

Boy, this is hard!  Every day it seems like there are people who are out to get me. They don't mean me any good.  I'm trying to get them to see things my way.  They don't.  And since I am being honest, there are some people I just don't like.  They have been mean to me or maybe I'm just a little envious of what they have.  I don't want to be that person anymore.  Help me to pray for my brother or my sister.  I want to be more like you.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment