Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What Kind of Friend Are You?

I have often heard the expression, 'Jesus is a friend that sticks closer than any brother'. So I decided to look deeper into the Word and see what it had to say about friendship. You see, in my life I have had friends come and friends go. Some I considered to be a great loss and was deeply hurt by it and others I didn't feel anything because in my reflection I realized that they had not been true friends in the first place.

As I looked in the Bible, I came across the story of David and Jonathan. What a great story about true friendship. When you have time ready I Samuel Chapter 18 - 20. Even though Jonathan was the son of David's enemy, King Saul, he remained faithful to his friend. Theres was a bond that was not easily broken. And when their friendship was tested it only became stronger. You see their friendship was built on their commitment to God. I have found that is difficult to treat someone bad when you think about all God has done for you, in spite of you. There friendship was also built on honesty. They were able to share everything. When Jonathan learned of his father's plot to kill David he didn't keep that information from him. He even spoke to his father on David's behalf. Now how easy would it have been for him to move to the side of his father, his own flesh and blood. Yet he valued the friendship that he and David shared. It was about more than what they could do for one another. It was about a love that was shared between the two of them. A love that didn't want to see any harm come to either one of them. Proverbs 18:24 says that in order to have a friend, you must first show yourself friendly. Often times we have more of a 'what's in it for me mentality'. Don't get me wrong there are times that your friendships may require you to give more, depending on the situation. Just remember that friendships are not one-sided. There is mutual bond that joins you together. There is a desire to want what's best for the other person. Outside forces can't stop you from having a relationship with that person. There may be times you have to ask for forgiveness. There may be times when you have to forgive. But before you start to cut off a friend, ask yourself the question - 'What Kind of Friend Are You?' John 15:13 says, ' the greatest love is show when people lay down their lives for their friends'.

My challenge for you today is to take a close look at the friendships in your life. Are they a value-add? Before you answer this, first ask yourself what type of friend have you been. A true friend listens, encourages, gives and even sacrifices. This is not an exercise for you to start cutting people out of your life, for I believe the Bible is about self-improvement, but about another chance for you to be the type of friend God wants us to be. Make a conscious effort to reach out to someone, and if necessary asks for forgiveness, renew your commitment to that person before the Lord, as David and Jonathan did.

Dear Lord,

Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for the sacrifice you made for me. I confess that I have not always been a good friend. (If led by the Spirit, be specific and name the person who you have not been a good friend to.) I value my friendships and I want them to continue to grow. I realize that I need your help to put myself aside and put someone else's needs before my own. Help me to be a better friend. In Jesus' Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment