Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, May 31, 2010

From Milk to Meat

Today as I am writing this, there is a part of me that is hesitant. But I must be obedient to the Holy Spirit.  I have learned that what I write may not apply to every one that is reading it that day but it is necessary for someone.  Take a minute and read Hebrews 5:11 - 6:2.  I remember the first time I read these verses.  It was in a Sunday school class.  It didn't hit me that day but I read it again a few years later and I decided it was time for me to make a change.  Let me start by asking you a few questions.  1. How long have you been a Christian?  2.  Do you pick up the phone to call someone every time something major is going on in your life?  3. What do you do when that person doesn't answer?  4. Do you get mad when you can get ahold of your Pastor?

As a young Christian I started out on fire for the Lord.  It was something new. It made me feel good.  I loved how the choir sang.  I especially loved that part at the end where the preacher got happy and the older saints began to shout.  I had no idea what they were shouting about but it still gave me a good feeling on the inside.  But that soon died out.  Sometimes the message didn't do anything for me and the preacher was boring.  When the older saints starting shouting, I started to think things like it doesn't take all that.  Part of the reason for my response was I didn't have any idea what they were shouting about.  The extent of my relationship with God was what I received on Sunday.  Surprised?  Don't be.  When I was young I went to church seven days a week and two or three times on Sunday. My parents made me learn entire chapters of the bible. I didn't know what the words meant but I had it memorized.  (By the way, I thank them all the time for that today. They were helping to build my foundation.)  But now that I was calling all the shots I decided that I needed a break.  I remember the years I went to college . I didn't come home much and the only time I went to church was when I needed a home cooked meal.  But while I was taking my break, life didn't wait around on me.  Things began to happen.  I started to experience my own set of trials. One trial in particular was when I became a single mom.  While I thank God for the foundation my parents and childhood church had instilled in me, it was about time that I got to know Him a little bit better for myself.   It was time for me to move from milk to meat.  
Let's talk about going from milk to meat.  You see, when you accepted Christ as your personal Savior, He came to live in your heart.  You now have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  You no longer have to go thru the High Priest, you can talk directly to the Father.  You own a Bible.  Some of you, like me, own several.  You have everything you need to move to solid food.   Yet you are still drinking milk.  You are relying on others to feed you, like a mother with a newborn child.  Why?  I cannot answer that for you but take a moment and think about it.  Do you not have the desire?  Is it that you have other more pressing priorities? You have a husband.  A wife.  You have children.  Your children's extracurricular activities.  You have a full-time job.  Not to mention you want your own time.  So with all that when do you have to time to spend in the Word?  When do you have time to spend talking to the Lord and listening for direction? You probably give God a couple of hours on Sunday. You may even go to Bible Study during the week.  But that's it.  No more than that. Besides isn't it the preachers job to study the Bible and teach it to you.  "But Sister Ramona,  you say, you don't understand everything that I am going thru right now. It's really tough.  I'm doing all I can to hang on."  And my response to you would be, "Yes I do."  Been there and done that. All the more reason you should want to move to solid food. 

You see, I believe that we make time for whatever we feel is important to us.  And many of us have not made studying the Word and spending time in communion with God a priority.  Especially those of us whose lives seem to be going okay right now.  Even some of us in a storm don't realize that you are there because God is trying to get your attention.   He misses you. He wishes you talked to Him more.  He has some important information that He wants to share with you.  He is urging you, like the writer of Hebrews, that the time has come for you to move from spiritual infancy to maturity.  It's time to stop letting every storm catch you by surprise. It's time for you to stand up to the devil with the Word of God.  I am here to tell you, Spiritual Maturity has its benefits.  You don't have to worry as much. You can actually get some sleep.  Yes, you are in a storm but because you read in His Word that 'His anger lasts for a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.'  (Psalms 30:5); you can go to sleep.  You've come to keep verses like, 'Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever' (Hebrews 13:8) in your vault.  That let's you know that if He did it for the three Hebrew boys who were right in the midst of the fire, He can do it for you.  There has been no greater revelation to me than when I sit down to learn first hand from God himself in my personal study time.  It encourages me.  It gives me the strength that I need to run on and see what the end will be.  I don't have to be taught the basics over and over again.  I see the big picture. I know that 'my present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for me an immeasurably great glory that will last forever. (II Corinthians 4:17) 

I don't know how long you have been a Christian.  It is not for me to judge whether you are still an infant or how spiritually mature you are.  I did, however, want to give you something to think about.  This is a personal decision only you can make.  I will tell you that you have everything you need to make the move from milk to solid foods.  My last question for you is - Will you make the time?

Dear Lord, 

What a word!  I confess right off the bat that I did not want to hear this.  I know that I have remained safely in my comfort zone.  I can tell you several reasons why now is not the time for me to make this move.  I have a wonderful Pastor, a great Sunday school teacher.  I receive daily words of encouragement in my inbox. But even as I say these words, I realize that nothing is better than me talking to you.  It's time for me to grow up Lord.  I submit my time to you.  No more milk for me.  It's time for solid food.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen. 

4 comments:

  1. Ms. Mona>>>I have watched you grow into a very strong God fearing woman and over the years YOUR TRIALS were not all for your benefit, but to share with others for such a time as this. In your encouragement of others remember the strength that God has given you because we are more than conquerors! Taking a look at my communion with God and reading this lets me know that there is more growth to come and I must lean not to my own understanding, but in all my ways acknowledge him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanessa....Absolutely...one thing that I always remember is that whenever I think that I've learned enough I just read some more and God reveals something new to me everytime. I have fallen in love with His Word. Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly what I needed. Actually all of your blogs have been since I began readin them. Thank you so much for that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vivian, I am so glad that God has used me to bless you. I give Him all the honor and praise. To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete