Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ordinary to Extraordinary

James Cleveland sang a song my parents used to play on our record player titled, 'Ordinary People'. The words of the song go like this: 'Ordinary people, ordinary people. God uses plain, old ordinary people. He uses people that will give their all. No matter how small your all may seem to you. Little becomes much, when you place it in the Master's hand'. What a powerful message!

It made me think of certain individuals in the Bible who went on to do great things for the Lord. Look at David, a mere shepherd boy, Jesse's son. One day, with the power of the Lord, was able to defeat Goliath ( a giant who stood about nine feet tall). Take a look at Moses, we all know he had a stuttering problem, but he was able to stand boldly before God's chosen people to lead them out of Egypt. Then there's Joshua, who out of obedience to the Lord, simply blew horns and marched and the walls of Jericho came tumbling down. I could go on and on. But the question that I want to pose you today is what was the one similarity in all of these stories - they had the Lord on their side. Out of obedience to him they were able to defeat their opposition. They were able to move past obstacles standing in there way. Read Psalms 124.

There wasn't anything special about any of these individuals. Just like there isn't anything special about me and you. But when we turn our lives over to the touch of the Master and make an active decision to serve him, he is able to turn our ordinary into extraordinary. We are able to accomplish things that we couldn't have done by ourselves. Doors are opened that were once closed. We are able to help those that are in need of a little encouragement. Our enemies are left speechless, in awe of the power of the God we serve.

But we must remember that submission is key! God gave us free will and the only way he is able to work in our lives is that we must turn them over to him. None of these stories would have been possible if they hadn't listened to the voice of the Lord. Notice that there were often times others around them were telling them that they were crazy and that there was no way they could accomplish their mission. For some of them they had to fight against the voice in their own head, telling them they were nobody. Even so, they held on to the promises of God. They were obedient to his voice and because of this we all know the outcome. Ordinary became extraordinary!

My challenge to you today is take some time and just listen. Listen to what it is God is calling you to do. What opposition are you facing? Whether it's your own fears or those around you, submit it all to the Lord. When you are ready, let God know you up for the task. And then stand confidently knowing the Lord is on your side.

Dear Lord,

Today I admit my fear. I hear you speaking to me and yet I still hear all the noise around me. As of right now, I am turning it all over to you. I want to accomplish what it is you have planned for me to do. I know that I can with you on my side. I realize the skills and talents I possess are mediocre at best without you but I also know that with you, they become magnificent. Help me to walk in my purpose to achieve what it is you have set out for me to do. In Jesus' Wonderful Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment