Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, May 21, 2010

Therefore

Yesterday I wrote about faith being the believer's internal engine.  Today I want to continue to talk about that faith and move to Hebrews 12:1-4.

'Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress.  And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us.  We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish.  He was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy he knew would be his afterward.  Now he is seated in the place of highest honor beside God's throne in heaven.  Think about all he endured when sinful people did such terrible things to him, so that you don't become weary and give up.  After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin.'

Would you agree with me that life is a race?  This race is not a sprint. It's a marathon.  This passage begins with the word, therefore.  One of the things my Pastor helped to show me was the importance of word study.  So I decided to dig a little deeper as to why this particular word.  Why not and or but or however.  Why the word, therefore.  Therefore is a conjunctive adverb.  Conjunctive adverbs show cause and effect or sequence.  It draws a logical conclusion.  In other words, because of what was previously stated this is the logical action that should be taken.  The before statement was Hebrews Chapter 11.  In that chapter, the author gives us Cliffs Notes of what faith is and how it behaves.  We are given a list of those who came before us and how they demonstrated their faith.  It was indeed their internal engine.  So therefore, because of this, here is what we should do to run our race to the end.

First we must strip off every weight that slows us down.  You do realize the lighter you are the better you run.  (Notice I didn't say the faster you run - remember marathon, not sprint.)  What is this weight the writer is talking about?  Hmmmmm.  I can only use examples in my life and maybe some of these you can relate to.  Things like doubt, fear, friends who don't mean you any good, Bubba, Shante', a stressful job, your cell phone, your computer.  Other things like alcohol, cigarettes, premarital sex.  Those things that tempt you and hinder your race.  We know that sin can be a struggle.  That is why we must confess our sins to the one who is faithful to forgive us of our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  Confession represents laying down that weight.  (I do understand that some of you may not be ready to lay down that weight for whatever reason but don't be alarmed at how much more difficult your race may be.)

Even the writer understood that this may be a difficult task because you have become accustomed to that weight.  So he went on to tell us what we must do next in order to rid ourselves of that weight.  Secondly, we must fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.  You see, your faith did not begin before you accepted Christ and it won't end until we meet him in glory.  (Had to pause for a second at just the thought of that - what a wonderful day that will be!)  Remember Peter who walked on the water.  Wasn't that an amazing thing to do? It was a part of his race and he was able to do so because he had faith.  Do you remember what happened when he took his eyes off Jesus?  He begin to sink.  Some authors speculate that he took his eyes off Jesus because he wanted every body to look at what he was doing instead of seeing Jesus thru him.  Whatever the case may be, one thing we know for sure is that he begin to sink when he took his eyes off Jesus.  See when you are looking ahead to the one who is able to make all things possible, the one who is able to do exceedingly abundantly more than you could ever imagine or think, the one who died on the cross for our sins because he loved us so much, it makes the task a little easier.  Which brings us back to faith - our internal engine. 

Think we me for a second and let's use our sanctified imagination.  Jesus, who left glory, a place where the streets are paved with gold.  A place where he had a mansion and the angels praised and worshiped him all day, every day.  He left all that to die for my sins.  And then he leaves me a record in the Bible of those I can look to as witnesses, made of the very same make and model as me.  There was no need for an upgrade or a better version.  He also gave me the Holy Spirit to dwell inside me, who prays for me when I can't find the word to say.  Do you think a God who has already shown so much compassion and an unconditional love would want me to fail?  Instead wouldn't it make more since that he is rooting for me to win. And then he gave us our own set of cheerleaders to cheer us on to victory.  Let me name them for you again.  Abel.  Abraham. Sarah. Isaac. Jacob. Joseph. Moses. Rahab. Gideon. Barak. Samson. Jephthah. David. Samuel.  They are all cheering you on.  Telling you that you can do it!  Keep running! When you start to get  a little weary they are there with your water bottle and a towel to wipe the sweat.  Chanting....DON"T GIVE UP!  DON'T GIVE UP!  And that is what I am saying to you today.  When you grow tired and weary and feel like you can't go on, remember THEREFORE.  Think about those who came before you.  They made it and so can you. 

Dear Lord,

I want to first start by saying thank you.  Thank you for giving me your word that I can go to when I'm feeling discouraged.  I can go to it when I'm feeling tired.  I can feed off those whom you have given your approval for encouragement.  I know I haven't always kept my eyes focused on you.  I have had many distractions.  Today I want to start anew.  Help me to stay focused on you.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment