Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, May 30, 2011

Look Up

If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Colossians 3:1



What are you doing right now today to live a life that is holy and acceptable unto God which is your reasonable service. (Romans 12:1)  With so many things coming at you from every direction, it is so easy to focus more on the problem than on the God who can solve any problem.  I don't know about you but when I take my eyes of God and focus on my problem, the behaviors of that old sinful nature have a way of sneaking back in as well.  I read something today in the book of Colossians that helped me to put things in a better perspective.  Paul starts out by telling me that I should seek the things that are above, where Christ is (verse 1).  As a born-again Christian, I am dead to sin.  Sin no longer has any dominion over me.  Its power has been weakened by God's grace.  This means that those behaviors which once controlled my mind and my body no longer have any power.  It means that I can say no to those earthly desires...sexual immorality, impurity, anger, wrath, obscene talk from my mouth, a lying tongue...just to name a few.  I don't have to succumb to the flesh. I am no longer a slave but free.  Free to 'look up' to God.

It is no longer about quoting what I am supposed to be doing. Giving what the Bible refers to as 'lip service'.  It is about putting those words into action.  There is nothing worse than proclaiming to be a Christian and yet living a life that  denies God in every way. Instead I must stay connected to my power source.  I must stay in the presence of God.   This must be a daily activity.  I can't afford to have a day where I give Satan any room to sneak in and regain any control.  To "set" my mind on things above means that I seek something out with a desire to possess it. It is a deliberate act. When I look up to God I remind myself of who is ultimately in control.    It's about changing my way of thinking.  When I change my way of thinking, God can change my heart.  And that is what it is really about. The old behaviors that I once possessed are replaced with new behaviors.  A compassionate heart, kindness, humility, meekness and patience, a forgiving spirit.  And even more importantly LOVE.  It was the love of God that compelled Him to send His only begotten Son to the world to die a horrible death so you and I  might have the right to the tree of life.  Remember that if any man be in Christ he is a new creature, old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.   (II Corinthians 5:17) 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I confess that I have been guilty of looking down at my circumstances instead of looking up to you.  Help me to focus my attention on You, the problem solver.  I find myself focusing more on the things that are not right when I should be thanking you for what You have done in my life.  You have blessed me over and over again.  I see now that I am no longer a slave to the behaviors that I constantly beat myself up about and I now know that as I look to You, You have the power to change my way of thinking and change my heart so that my life reflects one that has been changed.  A life that is now free.  As I think about this I feel so much better.  Thank you Lord. I will forever give You all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment