Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Blessing In Unanswered Prayer

What makes you lose your fire for the Lord?  As for me, my answer most of the time is what appears to be unanswered prayer.  There are so many times when I just don't understand why God insists on leaving me in my current condition as long as He does.  Relationships on a continual roller coaster.  Finances up and down.  Sickness.  Job insecurity.  Feel free to add a few of your own.  I finally had to come to the conclusion that I don't need to understand why God does what He does I just need to trust Him.  My faith has to be based on more than what God does for me. Why?  Because He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  God's power is not measured by how quickly He brings me out of a situation.  God is more concerned with the total package.  I like to think of it this way.  As a parent I could give my children everything they want.  I could overlook their bad behavior.  But at the end of the day by doing this would I be helping them or hurting them?  I believe that I would be hurting them.  That is why even though they may get mad at me because I don't allow them to sleep in church or play games on their phones, I know that I am doing the right thing.  The Bible says that we must 'Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6)  When I was young I went to church seven days a week and two or three times on Sunday. My parents made me learn entire chapters of the bible. I didn't know what the words meant but I had it memorized. (By the way, I thank them all the time for that today. They were helping to build my foundation.) But now that I was calling all the shots I decided that I needed a break. I remember the years I went to college . I didn't come home much and the only time I went to church was when I needed a home cooked meal. But while I was taking my break, life didn't wait around on me. Things began to happen. I started to experience my own set of trials. One trial in particular was when I became a single mom. While I thank God for the foundation my parents and childhood church had instilled in me, it was about time that I got to know Him a little bit better for myself. It was time for me to move from milk to meat.

Now during this time I didn't stop praying.  In fact I still remember some of those prayers.  If God had answered those prayers I am not sure where my life would be.  Most of these prayers had very selfish motives.  Lord, give me this.  I want that.  It wasn't about making me a better person.  I wasn't concerned with my inner man.  Every day I saw the ugly that was staring back at me in the mirror.  Yet and still my prayers didn't ask God to 'Create in me a clean heart O God and renew a right spirit within me'.  (Psalm 51:10)  I didn't want God to 'Search me and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thought'. (Psalm 139:23) It wasn't until God grew me up a little bit through my trials and tribulations that I was finally able to go to Him and pray these prayers with sincerity of heart. I understood that this may mean more tests and trials were headed my way but I was prepared.  I knew that He wouldn't leave me out there by myself as I traveled through the storm.  I knew that He would provide safety and protection.  The one thing that I had been missing all this time was a personal relationship.  God was not my number one priority and consequently everything else in my life was falling apart. 

You see, I believe that we make time for whatever we feel is important to us. And many of us have not made studying the Word and spending time in communion with God a priority. Especially those of us whose lives seem to be going okay right now. Even some of us in a storm don't realize that you are there because God is trying to get your attention. He misses you. He wishes you talked to Him more. He has some important information that He wants to share with you. He is urging you, like the writer of Hebrews, that the time has come for you to move from spiritual infancy to maturity. It's time to stop letting every storm catch you by surprise. It's time for you to stand up to the devil with the Word of God. I am here to tell you, Spiritual Maturity has its benefits. You don't have to worry as much. You can actually get some sleep. Yes, you are in a storm but because you read in His Word that 'His anger lasts for a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.' (Psalms 30:5); you can go to sleep. You've come to keep verses like, 'Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever' (Hebrews 13:8) in your vault. That let's you know that if He did it for the three Hebrew boys who were right in the midst of the fire, He can do it for you. There has been no greater revelation to me than when I sit down to learn first hand from God himself in my personal study time. It encourages me. It gives me the strength that I need to run on and see what the end will be. I don't have to be taught the basics over and over again. I see the big picture. I know that 'my present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for me an immeasurably great glory that will last forever. (II Corinthians 4:17)

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Today I thank You for unanswered prayer.  I thank You for those times You said "No" or "Wait", "Now is not the time".  I am so glad that You have the ability to see the bigger picture.  Help me to rely on Your consistency.  I know that You won't put more on me than I can bear.  I submit to Your will.  Give me the strength to continue to stand while riding through the storm  I will continue to give You all the glory, honor and the praise. In Jesus' Wonderful name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment