Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

But Prayer

I have often heard many people say "But God".  I have a different concept that I want to share with you today..."But Prayer".  How many times in your life have things seemed all but lost but then you remember to pray.  A sea of emotions flood your mind. Overwhelmed, hurt, disgusted, afraid, angry, depressed, sad. Nothing seems to be going right.  You may be at a point of giving up.  I have often said that we use prayer as a last resort when it should be the very first this we do.  In fact we are told to "Pray without ceasing".  I Thess. 5:17  The new Living Translation says it this way, "Never stop praying".  I like that.  As a Christian we can't afford to stop praying. 

What does this mean?  It means that our prayer life should be consistent.  Nothing should come between you and your prayer life.  It also means that prayer should be uninterrupted.  You should maintain a constant spirit of prayer.  And when we do we acknowledge our dependence on God for everything.  Prayer is not about the eloquence of your words. It is more about sincerity of heart.  Don't you know that prayer is our direct communication line with God.  I recently took a class entitled "Creative Supervision".  The author of the book stressed the importance of two-way communication between the supervisor and the employee .  In fact he called it the bloodline of the relationship.  Without it, the relationship suffers.  Isn't that how it is with God?  Too often we use prayer life like my children do me.  There are days when all I hear is "Momma Can I?"  But there are times when I just want to sit down and share with them.  Just as God wishes to share with you.  He desires to be in constant communion with His children. 

Don't you recognize that power of prayer? Especially prayer made in faith.  There is no greater source of power for the Saint.  I can't help but think about that awesome time when Peter was in prison and the church prayed continuously.  The result?  The prison doors were opened and Peter was set free.  What a sequence of events all because someone prayed.  Whatever it is you may be facing in your life right now, I have to stop and ask have you prayed.  This seems to be the central theme God has placed on my heart right now. With so many things in this world that are out of whack.  From the White House to the poor house.  If you hadn't already noticed...things are out of order.  I can't help but wonder what would happen if all the saints of God PRAYED...on one accord.  We begin to PRAY for our country, our schools, our churches, our families.  I have seen what the power of prayer can do in my life so much so that my prayers are more for others now than for myself.  Yes I still use this time to thank God for all the blessings He has bestowed upon my life and to listen for direction.  I pray just to be in His presence.  There is no other place I'd rather be. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for the privilege of prayer.  There is nothing more awesome than to dwell in your presence.  I realize how weak I am in my flesh and that I can do nothing without You.  O where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?  No matter where I am I am so eternally grateful that You can find me.  You know my voice and are attentive to my needs.  I can't help but praise Your name.  Help me to always remember that whatever the situation I can come to You in prayer.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment