Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, May 16, 2011

If I Hold My Peace

"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord. Keep watch over the doors of my lips".  Psalm141:3


My philosophy has always been to speak the truth especially if it is to someone that has wronged me.  But today during my quiet time with the Lord I discovered that everything doesn't always need to be said.  My words will not necessarily work to bring about real change.  And furthermore my words may be causing more damage then healing.  As a I sat and thought about this I realized that a changed needed to take place.  This could not be an external, cosmetic change but it had to be an internal change - a heart change.

There are many verses in the Bible that refer to the tongue and how deadly it is.  How it can either build someone up or literally tear someone down.  The tongue has destroyed many marriages, friendships, and jobs.  Words don't have to be said directly to someone for them to have an affect. They can be told to someone you trust and then shared with someone else under the pretense of confidentiality.  I can't tell you how many times I have uttered words in anger and later regretted not praying about the situation first.  Oh how I wish I had.  My problem was that I thought my words were justified and that my feelings needed to be validated.  After all, this person did me wrong.  The song I sang as a child that said, " If I hold my peace, let the Lord fight my battle, I know that the victory shall be mine" was the furthest thing from my mind.  I was too worried about getting taken advantage of.  What a costly mistake!  How many times had I been reminded to pray about everything?  How many times had I told a brother or a sister in need to turn it over to God.  He is the only one who can bring about true change. 

Every morning I rise I pray...Dear Lord let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight O God, my strength and my Redeemer. (Psalm 19:14) I can only imagine how many times God has been disappointed in me.  But thank God for His grace and His mercy.  I thank Him today because He is the God of another chance.  His love is steadfast and His mercy is abundant. (Psalm 51:3)  All He is waiting for me to do is ask for forgiveness and submit to His will.  That is where Psalm 141:3 comes in to play.  In order for this change to take place I must allow God to be a guard over my mouth and keep watch over the  doors of my lips.  By no means am I allowing myself to become a doormat for mistreatment instead I am giving God the right to bring about true transformation.  One very important question I have started asking myself before I speak..."Is it necessary?"  More times than not, I have found that they are not necessary and when I make the decision to hold my peace and let God fight my battles...victory is most certainly mine. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father, 

I need Your help.  My desire is to be used by You in every aspect of my life.  I am aware of my weaknesses and I thank You for loving me enough not to leave me the way I am.  Thank You for Your Word that is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword that has shown me once again that I need You for everything.  I can do nothing without You.  I need you to set a guard over my mouth and a guard over my lips.  Use my words to build up those that I come in contact with instead of tearing them down.  Thank you Lord.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Truly what I needed to hear today.. thanks for sharing!~Jen

    ReplyDelete