Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, May 27, 2011

Just An Afterthought

Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18

He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." Matthew 26:37-38

"Please pray for me."  How many times have these words been uttered to you by a close friend or family member, even a stranger?  For me, it's been countless times. What hit me pretty hard was the next question as the Holy Spirit spoke to me.   "Did you remember to pray?"  As I thought about this question personally I was reminded of the story of Jesus when He was about to face the most trying moment of His life.  He and His disciples went to the garden of Gethsemane.  He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee on with Him a little further and He went off to pray.  Before He went off to pray He had one simple request.  He asked them to 'keep watch with him'.  Yet when He returned He found them sleeping. 

You might be asking what does this story have to do with whether or not you remember to pray for somebody or not.  I can only speak for myself. But as I read this story again I thought about how many times people I know have asked me to pray for them.  And as much as I would like to be able to say that I have always remembered to pray for each and every one of them...I must be honest and say that I have not.  Sometimes I don't remember until I see that person again.  It's not that I forget intentionally. It's just that that person's need at the time is just an afterthought.  It is not as pressing as whatever is going on in my life at the time or the sleep that I haven't gotten in last few weeks.  Not only that but even those times when I remember to pray it is just a few quick words with no real meaning.  You know that prayer that says "And God please bless Sister Juanita".  Now don't get me wrong this doesn't happen all the time.  However, in my opinion, even one time is too many.  There is power that comes when we stand in agreement in prayer. In fact it is commanded in the Word.  Take a look at Matthew 18:19, "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.  These words were spoken by Jesus himself which lets us know how important they are. 

Prayer for others has to be more than an afterthought.  You don't have to know the details.  All you have to know is that your brother or sister is standing in need.  Praying for others is about more than just praying for someone else's need. It is a very unselfish act.  It is about praying with the same sense of expectancy that God is going to do something great for someone other than yourself.  It is believing that God will act 'in His own time and in His own way'.  As I get older and continue to grow more spiritually mature I see the importance more of more of prayer for others.  So much so that I keep a prayer journal that includes the names of others.  Some people on that list have asked me to pray for them and others I have added because God placed them on my heart.  As Christians we are always under attack.  Satan is out to steal, kill and destroy everything God has given us.  This includes our peace and our joy.  He know that there are times that we are so mentally drained that we may not have the energy to pray for ourselves.  That is when the faithful few must step in and stand in the gap.  If you don't know the words to say, just pray the Word of God.  You can't go wrong there.  One of my favorite verses that I pray for others comes from Colossians 1:9-11. 'that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing int he knowledge of God.  May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy. 

Praying for others is also about spiritual growth. Not all Christians desire to grow spiritually.  But if this is your desire, you must begin to take praying for others seriously.   I encourage you today to put together a few key verses that you can use when asked to pray for others.  I also encourage you to keep a prayer list.  Keep it in your Bible. Make praying for others a priority.  I am a direct result of the prayers of the righteous.  If there had not been some wonderful saints of God who hadn't prayed for me when I was down, I don't know where I would be. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Open my eyes so that I may see the needs of other.  Help me to be unselfish and pray sincerely for others.  I don't want to be so wrapped up in my own life that I am not a blessing to others.  I accept my responsibility of interceding for others so that Your name will be glorified.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Sis! I love this and I am challenged through this message to pray for others consistently... If I say it, I want to do it! I also love the idea of having a few key verses that I can use when asked to pray for others... LOVE IT! Thanks again, Sis, for sharing the love of God through your posts... STAY ENCOURAGED!

    Love you!

    Shel'

    ReplyDelete