Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Do You Have A Plan?

Have you ever tried to sit down and write a life plan?  Typically people do this when they have reached that point of needing guidance in their life.  They are not sure of which way to go.   Someone had to go and ask that dreaded question "Where do you see yourself in five years"?   I had to do this as my final assignment in my Human Relations in Training and Development course this semester.  It was an interesting assignment.  The object of the assignment was for you to identify those things that you want to improve about yourself and then put together a plan of action to correct those steps.  As I begin to make a list of the things that I needed to improve. The funny thing about this list was that I had made this list before.  So why was I once again in the same place?  Or was I?

The more I sat and thought about it, I realized that I was not in the same place.  I was indeed aware of those things that I did not like about myself.  I recognized those things that I wanted to do better.  This time was different.  It was not by accident that these things were discovered.  It was through my asking the Lord to "search me and know my heart. Try me and know my thoughts.  Point out anything in me that offends You and lead me in the way everlasting".  (Psalms 139: 23-24). This discovery was through my reading of the Word that is "quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart". (Hebrews 4:12)  You see, in the past this discovery was done by accident.  The process was kind of rough and I went pretty much unwillingly, kicking and screaming the entire way.  The difference now is that I want to know these things.  I trust that God knows what is best for me.  He knows my innermost thoughts.  He sees my sometimes evil ways.  He knows those things about me that hinder my ministry.  And because He knows He can point them out and take me through the necessary steps to remove them.  Now I have come to know that this is not going to be the most pleasant experience but the reward in the end is heavenly.  My encouragement for you today is for you to stop being surprised at the ways God is working in your life.  There is truth behind Romans 8:28.  He is working it all out for your good.  One thing I have learned is that it is not the process but the pain that produces perseverance.  Everything that God is doing in your life is perfect.  It is achieving for you a far greater weight in glory.  I know that it is easy to look at what you see right now in front of you.  No one knows your circumstances better than you.  But I challenge you today to test your faith.  Are you relying in your own ability or in the power of God?  I must admit that my greatest failures have come when I was relying on my own ability.  The knowledge I had accumulated with the brain God gave me.  The experience I had gained through employment opportunities God had blessed with me.  My personality and the ability I have to interview well which came from a heart transplant given to me by God.  All of these things that I thought were "my own" but were truly from God. 

Maybe you feel that you are far from where you thought you should be.  May you feel that there are manmade roadblocks in the way of you getting to where you want to be.  Whatever the case I stopped by to remind you to trust God.  Sometimes it's as simple as that.  Allowing God to make the necessary changes in your life.  Allowing Him to make up the difference.  That's what it is all about.  Remember that He loves you to much to leave you the same way.  Go ahead and try to create steps and strategies to change your life.  Unless God is at the center of that plan, you are setting yourself up to fail.  How much better your life will be if you just trust God!

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I thank You for Your Word that directs me and reminds me that I can show you all my flaws, my innermost  thoughts, the very ugliness that I see staring me in the mirror some days, not to be ridiculed but for correction and for change.  My hearts desire is to be more like you.  To walk like you Lord.  To talk like You Lord.  I want the words that I speak to be acceptable in thy sight.  I love you Lord.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment