Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, April 28, 2011

I Smile

(When I think how much better I'm gonna be when this is over)

I smile, even though I'm hurt see I smile,
I know God is working so I smile,
Even though I've been here for a while
I smile, smile..
it's so hard to look up when you look down.
Sure would hate to see it when you give up now
You look so much better when you smile, so smile.

I was asked the other day why am I always smiling.  Truth be told it hasn't always been this way.  Sometimes life situations have had me so down that I didn't genuinely smile for weeks.  During this time in my life I wasn't aware of what I know now.  I said alot of things that I didn't put into practice.  But the other day as I was driving home and this song came on my XM radio, I realized that the lyrics to this song reflected what I felt in my heart.  At this point in my life, there is one thing I know to be true.  God is able!  I don't know how He is going to do it or when it is going to happen, but I do know that in the end I will be better.  It is no longer a matter of me looking at my situation, sad and sulking, weak and worried.  Now it is "Lord I trust You!" My eyes are focused on God and what I know He can do.  Even now at this very moment in my life there are trials that I am facing.  These aren't recent trials. Truth be told they have been going on for almost two years to varying degrees.  I thank God today that I haven't let that stop me from praising Him.  Instead I praise Him more.  Why?  Because my God is faithful! When I am going through there are things that I have learned to do that help me hold on just a little while longer. 

First, I get deeper into the Word.  For everything you are facing, know that God has prepared a word of encouragement for you in the Bible.  You just have to take the time to go seek it out.  The next thing I do is pray.  I ask God what He is trying to show me through this experience.  I ask Him to search my heart and whatever is not like Him, take it away.  Everyday I wake up with myself and I go to bed with myself.  I am aware of the ugliness that sometimes creeps into my spirit.  I know that there are times that I don't want to forgive or love my enemy.  I get tired of being treated unjustly.  All these things God has shown me a little bit at a time and daily I ask Him to continue to shape me into the woman He wants me to be so that I can be of service to Him.  The last thing that I do is actually done from the beginning to the end of the storm.  I praise God!  I offer up a prayer of thanksgiving.  You see, God could just leave me the way I am.  But He doesn't.  He knows my heart.  He knows that there is one thing that I desire of the Lord and this one thing I seek after.  I want to dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 27:4)  These are not just words.  Daily I want to be in His presence and as the song says above, 'it's hard to look up when you look down'.  I have learned to keep my eyes on Jesus.  You just can't stay in that funk when you are looking up to God.  And furthermore, you can't help but SMILE. 

So when you people ask me why I smile, the answer is simple.  Why not smile?  I have God on my side.  I have the best doctor, the best lawyer.  Why spend my time worrying?  I am going to sleep.  I have learned to leave my problems in the hands of the One who can do something about it. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I love You not because of what you've done for me but for who You are!  Circumstances of life would dictate that I walk around with my head down and a frown on my face.  I am so glad that my life is not determined by my circumstances because You have the final say.  And as long as I live I am going to trust You.  Thank you for loving me. I will continue to give your name all the glory, honor and praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment