Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

God Is Still On The Throne

Therefore I will not fear, though the earth gives way. Though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam; though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God; the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns.
Psalms 46:2-5

One fact remains the same:  God is still on the throne.  I had to remind myself of this fact today.  With all that is going on in the world and in my life, there are times that I feel like I am going to lose my mind.  Just when I had a little bit of breathing room, Satan comes in and attacks my mind.  Driving down the street in my car I couldn't do anything but cry out to God.  My words were not eloquent.  As a matter of fact, through the tears, all I could cry out was "God, help me!" I wasn't feeling sorry for myself. I was simply overwhelmed.  But through it all one thing I have learned is that I will trust in the Lord.  Come what may from day to day, He is the source of my strength and the strength of my life.  I will not be afraid no matter what happens in my life.  I know that God is in control.

It is so easy to get caught up in the turmoil of this world.  Wars and rumors of wars.  Sons killing fathers.  Mothers killing daughters.  Earthquakes. Tornadoes.  Hurricanes, Tsunamis.  Businesses going under.  Marriages being attacked on every hand.  Children being pressured to drink and take drugs.  If everything is going right in your life, just wait awhile.  Kind of like the weather in Oklahoma.  Wait five minutes and it will change.  Sounds bad doesn't it.  Don't worry my sister.  Be encouraged my brother.  As Christians we have hope.  Our hope does not lie in our own abilities but in the power of the Most High God.  And the last I checked He is still on the throne.  The Psalmist expresses such a wonderful metaphor in the verses above.  Life couldn't have been worse.  But in the midst of it all he paints a picture of a state of calmness and peace.  I love the way Barnes Commentary put it...The "idea" here is simply that Jerusalem would be calm and serene amidst all the external agitations in the world - calm as a gently-flowing stream. The streams - the canals - the water-courses of such a river flowing around each dwelling and along each garden, would diffuse happiness and beauty everywhere.

It doesn't matter what is going on around you.  Is your husband not acting right?  Does your wife seem distant?  Are your kids misbehaving?  Did you just receive news of a bad report from the doctor?  Rumors about layoffs in your company?  Etc. Etc. Etc.  Whatever it is turn it over to God and leave it there.  I don't understand why we as Christians continue to carry around burdens we were not meant to carry.  Anytime I am burdened down, worried about things I have no control over; I am always reminded of a hymn.  The lyrics go something like this:

Oh what peace we often forfeit. Oh what needless pains we bear.
All because we do not carry, EVERYTHING to God in prayer.

I dare you today to give it to God.  Let Him work it out.  I am a witness that He will give you a peace that surpasses all understanding.  No sooner than I cried out to the Lord, I felt His loving arms and heard His tender voice telling me to "Calm down my child.  I got this." 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

That you for Your Presence and thank you for the privilege of prayer.  I thought things were going all right in my life and then comes something else.  One right after the other.  Today Lord, I am giving it all to You. I'm not going to worry about it.  Your will be done.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment