Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Change

For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.  Philippians 2:13

There I go letting myself get upset all over again and for nothing.  When am I going to ever understand that I cannot change people.  As much as I would like to be able to change people, I just can't.  Sitting on my couch frustrated, the Holy Spirit spoke to me.  The words were as plain as if He were sitting right next to me on the couch.  "You cannot change anyone."  Yes, you may be hurt, frustrated, angry and on the verge of giving up but you are just spinning your wheels trying to do something that only God can do. 

We've all done it. Sat there and talked (argued) until we were just plain tired  of talking trying to get someone to see your point of view.  Why can't they see that they need to make a change?  Can't they see that they are hurting me?  I'm not telling them anything that is going to hurt them.  In the end they will be a better person.  But that is not for me to decide.  God is the only one that can bring about lasting change.  Let me say that again.  God is the only one that can bring about lasting change.  You may be able to get someone to change for you temporarily but in the end unless God changes them from the inside out, you may be revisiting the same issue again.  Philippians 2:13 tells us that God works in us to lead us to do His will.  We still must choose to follow His leading.  So what do you do in the meantime when you really want someone to change?  PRAY.  Take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there.  How often as a parent do we see our child slipping down the wrong path?  We can talk to them until we are blue in the face but until He recognizes his need for change and allows the Lord to change his heart, he/she will continue to do the same thing.  That spouse, that friend, that brother, that sister, or even that parent.  They may know what is right but until they choose to listen to God, heed the urgings of the Holy Spirit, allow the Word to 'pierce even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, of the joints and marrow' (Hebrews 4:12), there will be no real change.  If you want to change or you wish someone around you would change, give it to God.  Tell Him what is in your heart and then submit to His will.  God's timing is perfect.  He is always working.  But prepare yourself, the change may not come when you expect it.  While you are praying for Him to work on someone else, He may just be working on you.

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I need Your help Lord.  It is very hard to see someone making a mistake and wanting to push them toward change.  It's hard for someone to continue to hurt you simply because they won't change and yet stand beside them during the process.  Help me to place them in Your hands I realize that only You can bring about true change. Please forgive me for my sins of anger and acting out on that anger because of my frustration. Help me to be more like You.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment