Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, April 1, 2011

There's A War Going On

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood.. Ephesians 6:12

I don't know how many times I have been in situations where I am fighting constantly with those around me.  Satan sneaks in and attacks my marriage.  I am going back and forth with my children about behaviour issues.  I am dealing with .  I let things get me all stressed out and worked up.  Worrying myself to death over nothing.  Instead of of realizing that there are things beyond my control.  That although my husband has upset me that ultimately it is Satan who is trying to cause dissension in my marriage.  Simply because marriage was instituted by God, the devil is going to do all He can to attack my marriage.  I wonder what would happen if we looked one another straight in the eye and stood together against the devil.  Instead of arguing we prayed about what was bothering us and agreed to discuss it in a civil matter. 

How many times have you woke up in the morning in a great mood.  You've done your devotional and spent time with the Lord.  You have prayed and given Him control of your day and here comes Satan.  Now unless you have put on the whole armor of God, you are defenseless against these attacks.  Go ahead and try to fight them with your own strength.  You'll get knocked down every time.  I'm not telling you what I heard but what I know.  Need an example?  There you are walking around your house smiling and singing.  You get in your car and someone cuts you off.  Your attitude does a complete shift. You are no longer smiling and then everyone else is on the receiving end of your bad attitude. And what about in the church? Believe it or not, the devil can attack you sitting right there in the choir stand using whatever distraction he can. He may use the person sitting right next to you. You know that person that is grumbling about everything that is being said all service long.  Right when the preacher says something you need to hear, you don't even here it.  And on top of that what about the times you have let the devil use you.  You see, spiritual warfare is not always  about what  happens to you. When we get up in the morning and we don't put on the whole armor of God we are ill-equipped to fight against the attacks of Satan. It takes a second for him to creep into your mind. Putting on the armor of God is having your feet shod with the preparation of peace.  This means that every place you go instead of stirring up trouble you are helping to bring about unity.  It means you're ready for battle.  You have read and studied the Word.  You have hid it in your heart.  You have the sword of the Spirit, once again tying back into the Word of God.  Next comes the shield of faith.  You have the courage to stand in the face of fear.  When everyone around you is doing wrong...  Those times when you are considered the outsider for going against the grain... You have your breastplate of righteousness and your helmet of salvation. With your breastplate on, your heart is protected and you realize also that you can do what is right.   God's commandments are righteousness. In contrast, lawlessness is sin, and sin is the opposite of righteousness. So to be righteous is to obey God's laws of love. Your helmet guards your mind.  Stop putting all that garbage in your mind. Remember you  have been 'called out' Without the helmet of salvation, we will be unprotected from the "cares of this world" that bombard our thoughts and feelings. Imagine not knowing what the future ultimately holds. The worries and problems produced by living in this world would overwhelm us!

If you notice all of these parts are critical. Not a day goes by that your armor is not necessary.  Satan has come to steal, kill and destroy.  He is after you.  Anything that He can do to keep you from representing God, he is going to try.  You must stay prayed up and in the Word as you are on the battlefield.  God has already won the war when He took the keys of death, hell and the grave after being crucified on that old, rugged cross.  We simply must walk in victory and realize that we have help to succeed.  The first step in being victorious is to recognize your enemy.  Although it may appear that your enemy looks just like you, Satan is working behind the scenes.  Fight him with spiritual weapons and you will win every time!

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I'm so guilty of spinning my wheels and fighting this spiritual battle with my own human strength.  Today I am putting on my armor from my helmet of salvation to my feet being ready to spread peace.  Help me not to get so wrapped up in what my enemy looks like and be more focused on this spiritual battle that I face everyday.  I realize that you already have the victory over Satan and I am going to start to walk in victory.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment