Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, April 18, 2011

I Love The Lord

"And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you? He requires only that you fear the LORD your God, and live in a way that pleases him, and love him and serve him with all your heart and soul.  Deuteronomy 10:12

Some things ought to call you to action. One of those things should be the sacrificial love of God.  This is a love that cannot be compared to anything you have ever felt.  Think of someone who has given you unconditional love, that person who you believe will do anything for you and how that person makes you feel.  The love of God is so much better than that.  As I reflect this Palm Sunday and think about everything my Saviour went through because He loved me, I feel like I need to do something. We are commanded to do a lot of things in the Bible.  But this verse speaks specifically about 'what the Lord requires of us'. 

You can tell me you love me all day long but if your actions do not match your words, I probably don't believe you.  God demonstrated his love for us in that while we were yet sinners He dies for me.  (Romans 5:8)  There is no greater love.  Each and every day I experience the love of my family. Sometimes this love is conditional.  It is based on what I have done or haven't done.  I am so glad that God doesn't treat me that way.  His love is unconditional.  And the only thing He requires of me is that I live in a way that pleases Him and love Him and serve Him with all my heart and soul.  Frankly, I don't think that is too much to ask.  I don't know your story but I do know mine. I look back over my life and see God's hand guiding and directing me.  Moving obstacles out of my way, opening doors, forgiving me, growing me up spiritually... These are just a few of the things He's done for me.  It shouldn't be that difficult for me to serve Him.  To become a vessel to get His message out to everyone I come in contact with.  It's not a matter of me having my hands out the time wondering What's In It For Me'?  As a Christian I should spend more time asking God what can I do for You?  How can I make a difference in the lives of those I come in contact with?  What is in the way of me serving God completely?  As you identify these things, pray and ask God to move those things out of the way.  Ask Him to help you to prioritize.  God should be first in your life.  When He is first everything else falls into place.  I am witness.  God wants our first fruits.  I can tell you how much better my day goes when I wake up praising Him.  Thanking Him for those things that I so easily take for granted.  When I dedicate my day to Him.  When I make an active decision to dwell in His presence.  I still have to face daily trials but my response is different.  More than anything I want others to see the Jesus in me. 

As you begin a new week, take a moment to reflect on  the goodness of God.  What has He done in your life that deserves praise? How can you serve Him more in your daily life?  What changes do you need to make in your life?  Give these things over to God.  One of the best prayers I ever prayed was when I asked God to help me reprioritize my life so that I can give Him more time.  Oh what a difference this change has made in my life.  You see, I don't just love the Lord for what He has done for me.  If I loved Him just for what He has done, then I would stop serving Him when I thought I deserved a blessing and didn't get one. Instead I love Him for who He is.  It is the nature of God that keeps me praising Him. The fact that He is Jehovah Jirah, Jehovah Rapha, Jehovah Nissi, El Shaddai, El-Olam.  He is the same yesterday, today and forever.  His love never fails. Need I go on?  God is worthy!  He is the best example of love in action.  This action should make you want to do something.  You should want to serve Him. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you Lord.  I thank you for You are worthy.  You are faithful.  You are God.  I love You.  Even though I don't always understand what is going on in my life, I know without a doubt that You are guiding my footsteps along the way.  I only need to be obedient to You.  Help me to get my priorities in line with Your will for my life.  Let me not become complacent when it comes to serving You.  In Jesus' Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment