Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fight or Flight

Every Christian faces opposition.  It comes in many forms.  We face it in our homes, on our jobs, and even in the church.  It comes from those we know and from those we don't know.  One of the things that I am working on right now is my reaction when faced with opposition.  How do I respond? I must admit that in the past my reaction hasn't been the most positive one.  My usual response has been either "fight or flight".  Either I retreat into myself or I put my boxing gloves on.  Neither response is the best response.  So I decided to see what the Word of God has to say about what to do when faced with opposition. 

First this first, "Don't be surprised".  Remember when God asked Satan where he had come from, and the response was "I have been patrolling the earth, watching everything that's going on."  Think about this.  Satan has nothing better to do that to try to defeat you.  To throw you off guard.  To keep you distracted from doing the work of the Lord.  Not only that but if you turn over to I Peter you find a similar message that says, "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour," (v8)  The devil is not playing.  There is a war going on.  So what is opposition?  I liked this definition best that says, 'a person or group of people opposing, criticizing, or protesting something, someone, or another group'.  Sound familiar.  "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places'.  (Ephesian 6:12)  Opposition!  Which brings me to my second point on what to do when faced with opposition.  "Put your armor on".  This must be a daily process.  You must have on the belt of truth. Your feet shod with the preparation of peace. The sword of the spirit.  The shield of faith.  The breastplate of righteousness.  The helmet of salvation.  One thing I have realized it that I can't fight this enemy on my own.  I don't have what it takes in the physical man to combat this enemy.   This is spiritual warfare.  Flight is never the response for a soldier in the army of the Lord.  Why not?  Because we are already victorious.  No need tor retreat.  You can stand firm knowing that you and God are a majority.  And no need for boxing gloves...you can hold your peace and let the Lord fight your battles.  Ask God to give you the words to say when faced with opposition. 

Maybe you say that you have done all these things and you are still having a hard time handling the opposition that you face.  If so, I have one last word of encouragement and that is to "Remember Jesus".  Hebrews 12:3 says, "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart".  Reflect on this example so that you may be able to bear your trials.  Think about the hardship that He suffered while being beaten, pierced in His side, nails pounded into His hands.  Yet He endured so that you and I might have the right to eternal life.  Understand that there is great danger when we become disheartened and weary by the opposition that we face.  Satan wants to control our minds. That is why we must keep our eyes fixed on Him.  Remember God has a hand in it all.  He keeps His promises. It's okay for your enemy to think that he or she has one because you know your reward is not here on earth.  You have the 'smoking gun'.  "For we know that all things work together for the good of them who love the Lord, tot hem who are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I know You said in Your Word that I will have to endure trials and tribulations.  I can't say that I like them and on most days I don't understand them.  Yet will I trust you Lord.  Let me not grow weary in well doing.  Help me to stand firm when faced with opposition in my life knowing that all things will work out for my good.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment