Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Rejoice in the Lord always' and again I say, Rejoice. (Philippians 4:4)

Why do we praise God?  We praise Him for who He is.  Yes, He has done marvelous things and is able to do much more.  But at the end of the day, our praise should be unrelated to the circumstances of life.  It should however be directly related to our relationship with Him.  Don't get me wrong though.  I am no super saint.  Some days it feels like the weight of the world is on my shoulders.  I am worried about this and that.  I may have just received some bad news.  Here lately it is the lie of the devil trying to steal my joy of a major accomplishment by the number of  No's I continue to hear as I apply for employment.  But God has been to good to me and I have seen what He can do. I remember the prayer that I prayed for Him to open only the door He has prepared for me and for Him to close all others.  And while He is preparing that blessing that has only my name on it, I will wait on Him.  And while I am waiting I will continue to praise Him.  I have seen the blessings He has bestowed upon me and my family during the past year and a half.  So the devil cannot distract me with his lies that God has forsaken me or forgotten about me.  I will still continuously praise the name of the Lord because as the minister said on Sunday, "I opened my mouth to the Lord and I won't turn back.  I will go.  I shall go. To see what the ends going to be."  My purpose in life is for God to be glorified and that is by any means He deems necessary. 

Praise, my brother and my sister, is about so much more than simply thanking God because He has done something out of the ordinary for you.  There is not a day goes by that God doesn't do something for you.  God's mercy is a daily blessing.  His grace is another daily blessing.  Just look at nature and how God causes everything to be in order.  And if you truly believe that God is Sovereign than you realize that nothing happens that He is not aware of.  You realize that He controls all things.  Praise is about recognizing who God is, for He is worthy of our praise.  The God we serve is a personal God and He delights in the praises of His people.  Want a sure fire way to welcome in the presence of God, just start praising His name.  Praise gives glory to God and opens us up to a deeper union with Him. It turns our attention off of our problems and on the nature and character of God Himself. Each and every time that you focus your mind on God and proclaim His goodness, the result is peace and contentment for you and it transforms your outlook on life.  It gives you time to reflect on His promises, knowing that His Word will not return void.  It will accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.  (Isaiah 55:11)  Remember our praise is a witness to those who do not know the Lord.  It is also encouragement to those that do know the Lord and may be weaker in their faith.  That is why we should let nothing hinder us from praising  God.  I have learned that every day that I wake up and am able to get out of bed, see my husband and my children is a reason to praise Him. When I look through the blinds and see that it is morning and that night did not continue past it's designated time, that's a reason for me to praise Him.  It doesn't take some extra special blessing or some check in the mail.  In the words of Smokie Norful's song 'Dear God', I thank Him simply for my life.  I don't have to wait until my gray hair kicks in and I have gotten all the fun out of my life to recognize the joy I feel in my heart simply from praising God.  I feel so much better when I do.  It reminds me that someone bigger than me, more powerful than me is in control.  Each and every blessing that I receive is because of Him and if He never does anything else, He has already done enough.  So I rejoice!   Not in my own abilities or strength because I know that every good and perfect gift comes from God. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank You for this day.  Thank You for your grace and your mercy.  Thank You for breath in my body and activity of my limbs.  Thank you for being God all by Yourself.  I know that You don't need my help.  You simply ask for my obedience in all things.  Help me to be obedient and let You be God.  Help me to be patient and wait on You to move.  I know that I cannot do this by myself.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment