Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, January 21, 2011

Know Your Enemy

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10

The devil is  real and he is after your soul.  It never fails after a personal victory in the Lord here comes Satan all ready for His next attack.  I wonder if I will ever get to the point that I am ready for his attacks.  I know that being ready means that I have to be prayed up with my mind always stayed on Jesus.  What's funny about these attacks is the shape they take on each time.  My latest attack was in the form of someone who looked like me and carried the label 'friend'.  See what I mean....no pointed ears, tail or pitchfork instead designer jeans, Coach bag and a hug for a greeting. I won't go into details about what happened but I will say that everyone is not always happy to see you being blessed especially when they are unhappy. But you must learn to consider the source.  There are just some  people in the world who love to cause trouble, stir up problems and basically give you a bad time.  Sad part about it is that they don't recognize that Satan is using them. Satan wants nothing more than to steal your joy. He wants to invade your mind with clutter.  He wants to kill your happiness and hope in Christ Jesus.  He wants to destroy your peace of mnd.

One of the best lessons I learned was that my 'fight is not against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places'. (Ephesians 6:12)  The last thing the devil wants to see is you spending time in God's Word.  He doesn't want you to have a regular prayer life. He doesn't want to see you praising God in the midst of your storm. He would rather see you in mindless arguments, engaged in gossip, consumed with worry and stress.  Anything to keep your focus off God.  Ever notice how you can wake up thanking God for another day, you read your devotional, pray and then get in your car to some of the worse traffic ever, making you late and putting you in a bad mood.  Or maybe you get to work and your supervisor seems to be on something extra.  You had made up your mind to start going to Bible Study and now you have to work late. You plan an innocent night out with your girlfriends, instead of y'all having a good time catching up and enjoying time away from the husband and the kids they want to spend all their time in simple-minded gossip.  What about when what happened at work carries on into your home and then arguments take place because you didn't take a moment to pray in your car on the way home so that you wouldn't bring negativity into your home.  And don't think I have forgotten about Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome or Miss Sexy Eyes and Long Legs.  They always seem to show up when you have made a personal commitment to get yourself together or when your husband or wife is tripping. All these things may seem like nothing but they are.  These are all distractions, tricks of the devil. 

This is why you must know your enemy.  It is not your husband, your wife, your sister, your brother, your boss, your neighbor, or the stranger on the highway.  It is the devil!  Each and every morning you rise, never forget to put on your armor.  The belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.  The shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.  Praying at all times int he Spirit, staying alert with all perseverance and praying for others.  (taken from Ephesians 6:14-18)  We can't afford to let our guard down.  I don't know about you but I don't want to spend any extra time fighting an enemy that has already been defeated.  I would much rather utilize the tools God has given me to keep him just where he belongs, under my feet. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your grace and your mercy and for your forgiveness.  Hear my prayer, O Lord.  Incline your ear to me.  Open my eyes so that I may see as you see.  Help me to be more aware of Satan's attacks instead of being swept into his wicked schemes.  Help me to respond in love and kindness instead of anger.  Let the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart always be acceptable in thy sight, O God, for you are my strength and my redeemer.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Michele...girl you know this was one of those difficult lessons but I have gotten better.

    ReplyDelete