Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What's It All For Anyway?

Sometimes the storm last so long it makes you wonder what is it all for.  You've heard all the sermons and read all the Bible verses.  You've even had a few personal conversations with the Father and yet you find yourself asking what's it all for?  At this point none of the regular scriptures that you have used in the past bring you to any comfort. Scriptures like Romans 8:28, 'And we know that all things work together for the good of them who love the Lord, who are the called according to His purpose'.  Genesis 50:20, 'But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive'.  Psalm 30:5b, 'weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning',  It doesn't matter that in the end it is going to turn out for your good.  You need relief right now.

As I am sitting here reading in the book of Philippians I come across a verse that helps me to put things in an entirely different perspective for this journey of trust.  This journey of trust has never been about me but all about God being glorified.  Philippians 1:12-14 helped to make things more clear. 

'And I want you to know, my dear brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News. For everyone here, including the whole palace guard, knows that I am in chains because of Christ.  And because of my imprisonment, most of the believers here have gained confidence and boldly speak God's message without fear'.

Paul was locked in prison when these verses were written.  But in spite of obstacles, dangers, and distractions, the message of Jesus Christ was still spread.  During this period of Paul's life, his faith was apparent.  When others can see you continuing to praise God in the midst of everything you are going through, they are encouraged.  And I have learned that when you praise God while you are going through the storm it changes your would be fatalistic outcome to one of hope and restoration. That's what is all about?  Sometimes the reason we go through is for others, so that they might see first hand the goodness of the Lord.  It's alright to read the stories of the Red Sea, the fiery furnace, the lion's den, a ram in the bush.  You can even shout over it.  But when I see my brother standing and testifying about how the doctors had given up on him and after a year here he stands singing praises to God.  When I hear my sister talking about how she hadn't paid a mortgage payment in a year and then she went to the bank and they had lost the paperwork so now she is living in a house that was paid in full.  These are stories that bring the goodness of God a little closer to home and it's most definitely something to shout about. 

Yes every trial that we go through is for our benefit but it is also for the building up of the body of Christ.  'Therefore we do not lose hope.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary inflictions are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal'. II Corinthians 4:16-18 So what is it all for anyway?  To strengthen usTo grow us up.  'Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won't be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth'. Ephesians 4:14  God loves us too much to leave us in the condition we were in.  Accept His plan for your life.  Dig into the Word in times of weakness. Admit that you do not know everything and you need an Omniscient God.  Trust Him. Obey His commands.  And even in the midst continue to praise Him for He's worthy!

Most Gracious Heavenly,

Lately I have started questioning the purpose behind all this I am going through.  I know what the Word says and I know that I need You in order to make it.  But I'm weak.  I need something to go my way.  It's hard not to look at the circumstances staring me in my face and continue to have hope.  Yet and still I do have hope.  I have hope in You.  In spite of what it looks like I know that everything is going to work out for my good.  Give me strength Father to stand, to relinquish my own power and trust in You.  I will forever give Your name the praise You so richly deserve.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment