Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, October 10, 2011

Let It Rain

Yesterday my daughter asked me a question.  She asked, "Mama is the rain necessary?"  I wasn't surprised that she was asking about the necessity of the rain because in her mind it was ruining her play time.  Saturdays are her time to spend outside with her sisters riding their bikes and playing kickball with the other children in the neighborhood.  My response was, "Baby if God decided to let it rain, then it is necessary."

Often times we experience periods of pain and sorrow, when our lives are topsy turvy.  We cry out to the Lord and are confident that He hears us but nothing changes.   Sort  of like this latest rain.  It began Saturday afternoon and on Sunday evening it was still raining.  The rain would be okay if it were just for a few hours or at night while I was sleep.  However when it starts to put a kink into my daily routine then it becomes a problem.  A continuous shower makes me wonder are there sunny days ahead?  So what is the purpose of rain?  Is it just to make us miserable?  To mess up our freshly done hair?  To dirty up our cars?  To keep us discouraged and depressed?  Even though it may seem that way on the surface, I stopped by to let you know that positive results can come from the rain. 

“And if you will indeed obey my commandments that I command you today, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul, he will give the rain for your land in its season, the early rain and the later rain, that you may gather in your grain and your wine and your oil. And he will give grass in your fields for your livestock, and you shall eat and be full. Deuteronomy 11:13-15

Why is rain necessary?  For growth.  Those of you who are babes in Christ need rain in order to become more mature.  And furthermore, if you are a mature Christian you need rain in order to bear fruit.  Without rain you are unable to fulfill the purpose that God has designed for you.  So don't be surprised when the rain comes.  Instead be thankful.  Begin to see the opportunity in the rain.  Thank God for the rain.  Tbe rain is reassurance that God has not forgotten you.  It is a fulfillment of the scripture that 'He who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns'. Phillippians 1:6  You may not know when the rain will start but you can count it a blessing.  There is one requirement though...that you obey the commandments of the Lord.  It doesn't matter how good you are in the eyes of man, what matters is how God sees you.  I read this quote in one of my daily devotionals that said, 'Where showers fall most, there the grass is greenest'.  So the next time the rain is falling in your life don't think that God has forgotten you. You may have to wait a while but just know that 'Waiting exercises our grace; waiting tries our faith; therefore, wait on in hope; for though the promise tarry, it can never come too late'. C.H. Spurgeon

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I confess to You that right now I don't completely understand the purpose of the rain in my life but I accept Your divine providence and know that the rain must be a part of the process so that I may fulfill the purpose You have for my life. Help me to be obedient to Your commands and to be an example to those around me who may not be as mature in their Christian walk.  Thank You for the rain because I realize that without it I would not grow. One thing I know for sure...no rain, no rainbow.  And no matter what I will continue to give You all the praise You so richly deserve.  In Jesus Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment