Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Character

What does it mean to have 'character'.  Character is defined as 'the distinctive nature of something; having moral or ethical quality'.  I have always been taught that it is not just about what you say; it is about how you behave.  I can say all day long that I am a Christian but if my behavior contradicts those words then my character is in conflict.  I have heard many people say that God doesn't expect me to be perfect as though that is an excuse to continue behaving like those in the world.  I am not going to argue with this statement but I will say this: You will never be perfect but God has given you the tools to be better than you were.  You and I were born sinners but we are saved by grace and the blood of Jesus cleanses us and makes us white as snow.  We are going through a 'sanctification' process but that is by no means an excuse to sin.  I have been reading in the book of Philippians in my morning devotion time and I love how Paul put this very thought in Philippians 2:13-16. 'Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure. Do everything readily and cheerfully—no bickering, no second-guessing allowed! Go out into the world uncorrupted, a breath of fresh air in this squalid and polluted society. Provide people with a glimpse of good living and of the living God. Carry the light-giving Message into the night so I'll have good cause to be proud of you on the day that Christ returns. You'll be living proof that I didn't go to all this work for nothing. (Message Bible)

So the question that I had to ask myself was "Am I doing this?"  Am I 'working hard to show the results of my salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear'.  (v.12)  I must make the choice to make a change and trust that God will help me honor my commitment to Him.  That is what His Word says.  And I am hear to tell you that it is not an easy process.  Sometimes there are family members and friends who don't understand your decision...your choice to no longer participate in the negativity.  To boldly say "I really don't want to hear that when someone is always spewing venom about others not caring if it is true or untrue."  We all know those individuals who always have something negative to say about everyone. If you say a name, they have a story. I know because I have done it.  Not to that extent but I am just as guilty as the next person of either saying or listening to negativity about someone else. But it is not about what you have done; it is about are you allowing the Word to do its work (as a two-edged sword), cutting away and healing all in one.  This is by no means you trying to be better than anyone but instead I am working out my salvation.  Does is mean that I no longer slip up?  Definitely not!  What it does mean is that I am aware of my weakness and what tempts me and because of this I am more aware of the things that may make me slip up along this journey of trust. 

As a Christian I am supposed to be a light that shines in darkness.  Having character means this light shines brightly.  I cannot choose  when I want my light to shine.  When I'm with this group my light is shining bright. When I am with this group there is only a dim light flickering. On Sunday morning I'm in character, singing and praising God.  Before I get out of the sanctuary I've taken off my spiritual hat and put on one of the world.  Having character is about consistency.  It is also about refinement.  The word 'refine' has several different definitions.  There are two that stuck out to me the most. 1. To free from moral imperfections 2. To improve by pruning or polishing  You and I did not come into this world ready to conquer our sinful nature.  It is our natural state.  So God puts us in the furnace of affliction and exposes us to difficult situations.  Sometimes this means making decisions about those you keep company with. It means not participating in the latest gossip, having to be in the know about everything that is going on.  It means submitting to God and asking Him to remove those things from you that are not like Him.  Praying 'create in me a clean heart O God and renew a right spirit within me'. (Psalm 51:10) You can't do it on your own, but you can do it with God's help.  I don't know about you but I want to be a person of character and I am willing to go through whatever process God wants to take me through.  My challenge to you is to take a God-look in the mirror and ask Him what are the areas that He wants you to get better.  What does He need to remove in order to make room for those things that change you into the child of God that He wants you to be in His service?

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for your refining process.  Thank you for loving me enough not to leave me in my messed up sinful condition.  Lord I submit to the process.  Your will be done.  Search my heart and cut out anything that is not like You and at the same time replace it with those things that I can use to be of service to You.  In all that I do I want your name to be glorified. Help me to display the character that is befitting of a child of the King.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment