Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Exposed

Today while talking with a co-worker of mine, she made a statement that I couldn't get out of my mind.  Her statement was, "I thought that the more mature you become as a Christian, the less temptation you have to face."  My response to her was quite simple, "Actually. it's the opposite."  I honestly believe that this way of thinking is why so many of us fail in the area of consistency in our walk with God. We become comfortable in our religious routine.  We read the same scriptures, say the same prayers, go to church on Sunday and maybe even Wednesday and then have the mindset that life should somehow be easier as if we are doing everything God requires.  But are you? 

The Word of God is full of so many wonderful truths that God wants to expound on individually to each of us.  Yes, it is wonderful what we get from the preacher, teacher, books, daily devotionals, blogs, etc.  But there is nothing like one-on-one conversation with the Almighty God.  He is truly amazing.  Psalm 119:130 says, 'The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple'.  Clarke's Commentary on the Bible put it this way - 'Every sermon, every prayer, every act of faith, is an opening by which light is let into the seeking soul'. Think about it.  How does God speak to us?  One definite way is through His Word.  And one primary purpose of the Word is to expose darkness.  This is not a shameful process but one in which God is able to expose our sin in order to change us.  He wants us to become better Christians.  It's that process of sanctification.  You know the story.  First, you were justified. My Pastor used to say, "just as if I never sinned."  Romans 5:8 states, 'But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners'.  That wasn't all He did.  As we live our lives in this journey of trust, you continue to go through the sanctification process.  John 17:17 says, 'Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth'.  Here in this verse Jesus prayed for His disciples.  But I say we all go through this process.  A process of us becoming more and more like God and less attached to the world.  A process where we allow the Word to deliver us from things that are evil, expose the ugliness in our hearts, and give us the strength to fight off temptation. And believe it or not this process continues until the day that we die.  For it is at that point that we will be glorified. 

I can remember my Pastor saying on more than one occasion,"If the devil isn't bothering you, maybe you should be worried.  You never become so holy that the devil stops bothering you.  My life has shown that the closer I try to get to the Lord, the more satan comes at me.  And the weapon I use is the same one Jesus used when He was tempted of the devil - the Word of God.  As a mature Christian you should be little bit stronger than a babe in Christ.  But don't get cocky.  All this means is that satan is going to pull out his big guns.  He will be even more deceptive, cunning and conniving.  He will start to use those closest to you.  He will wait until you have that argument with your spouse to send temptation walking your way in the form of long legs or deep, dark chocolate.  He will use finances or sickness to discourage you, preoccupy your thoughts so that you spend more time worrying and less and less time in the Word.  My challenge to you today is for you to turn to the Word and not away from it.  Counteract the devil's schemes with the Word of God. Stand your ground.  Be proactive.  Pray and ask God to 'search your heart, remove those things that are not like Him'. Make this your daily prayer.  This Christian walk is not all blue skies and roses.  Sometimes there are periods of rain and weeds.  But thank God that in the midst of darkness we have been exposed to the light and the cleaning process never ends. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I thank You today for the process of sanctification.  A process where I am being set apart, growing in grace.  Thank You for not leaving me in the dark.  Instead You died for me just because You loved me.  I am so very grateful.  Lord I am asking that You continue to search my heart for those things that are not like You.  Help me to move in the same direction instead of fighting against the changes You are making in my life.  Help me to stay in Your Word, allowing it to expose the sin in my life.  I ask forgiveness for those sins that I have committed on this day in word, thought, or deed.  Thank You for your forgiveness.  I will continue to give You all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus' Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment