Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What's Your Handicap?

Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.  II Corinthians 12:9



Walk on any golf course in America and you will hear a conversation that goes something like this.  "What's your handicap?"  The answer would be numerical.  That same conversation in most American homes when speaking about someone's handicap would have a negative connotation.  The only positive most people get out of being handicapped is the close parking space at Walmart.  I want to challenge you today to look at things a little differently.  Instead of automatically looking down on yourself because of what your or others may view as a handicap, view your handicap as an opportunity for God to show up and be glorified.  Maybe you have been praying about something, asking God to remove something that you see as a deficiency.  Perhaps you have been praying fervently as Paul did in the twelfth chapter of II Corinthians for God to make a change.  Instead He says, "My grace is sufficient.  So that you won't make the mistake of thinking that you accomplished something on your own, I am going to leave the handicap and show you just how powerful I am."   Paul's prayer and God's response shows as that we are not to expect as a matter of fact that all our prayers will be literally answered, and that we should not be disappointed or disheartened if they are not.

Have you ever had that situation were you had already determined in your mind what God was going to do?  So much so that you did not recognize God at work when it happened.  As a  matter of fact you  were so set on your answer that you failed to thank God for what He did do.  Instead of removing you from the bad job, He sustained you.  Instead of allowing you to get a divorce, He honored your prayer and changed the heart of your husband or your wife and kept your family together.  Instead of healing your loved one, He allowed Your family to grow stronger together and you to become more resilient.  In situations like these I remind myself that my Heavenly Father knows best.  He sees the big picture.  He knows what we need better than we do.  He also knows what we have inside of us even when we want to give up on ourselves.  It is important for us to keep our faith in God.  The grace that Paul talks about in the verse above signifies the good-will of God towards us, and that is enough to enlighten and enliven us, sufficient to strengthen and comfort us in all afflictions and distresses.  There is not a time when we are weak that we cannot go to the Savior and pull from His strength.  It's available to you.  Accept it.  Stop putting limits on a limitless God.  He has everything you need.  The next time the solution doesn't seem to be what you want, trust that it is absolutely what you need.  Why?  Because it comes from God. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I just want to take the time to tell You thank You for Your Grace, for it is truly all I need.  I know that there have been times that I have complained that You have not answered my prayer.  I know that is not true because in Your Word you tell me to come to You with my every need.  Thank You for not always giving me what I asked for but instead giving me what I needed.  Help me to seek Your face in all situations and know that even though it may seem as times that I may be lacking in one area, it is Your grace and power within me that allows me to stand.  Thank you for answering my prayer.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment