Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Love

Love a word that comes and goes, but few people really know what it means to really love somebody....Kirk Franklin


Every day hundreds of relationships are destroyed. Friendships, marriages, families. Although I have never read any statistical information, I have my own thoughts about why this happens. I believe that most people (including myself) have a misconception about what real love is. We believe we know how we want others to love us without checking how we love them. Too often we find ourselves wanting something from others that we aren't willing to give. We become frustrated with our spouses, our friends and and our family members. Hold grudges. Don't forgive. The result - a destroyed relationship.

So what does the Bible say about love. There is one verse that immediately came to mind while I was sitting listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8  A simple verse with a powerful message.  The first thing I take from this verse is that loves is selfless.  To truly love someone you must give of yourself expecting nothing in return.  Personally, I have found this difficult to do at times.  Too often I find myself asking, "What's in it for me?"  I wonder what the results of our relationships would be today if both people involved (spouses, sisters, brothers, friends) spent more time being distributors of God's love what the world would look like.  God didn't wait to send His Son after we had gotten our lives together. He knew that in and of ourselves, we would never get there.  Have you ever stopped to think that the person you are getting so frustrated with is doing the best he or she can?  In fact, that person is just like you and how You are with God.  Over and over again we disappoint Him and after everything He has done for you.  It's not just about what He did in the past.  It's about what He is doing right now and will do in the future.  It's about unconditional love.    Have you ever stopped and asked yourself what if God would have just given you?  If not, take a moment right now and think about it.  As a Christian we should be more about self-evaluation and improvement.  We must allow the blood of Jesus to continue to clean us from within.  Stop being so quick to point the finger, pointing out the flaws of others.  Instead forgive more.  Love without expecting anything in return.  When Jesus walked this very earth, there were times He spoke.  But His most valuable example was how He lived.  Let  that be your lesson.  Real, true love is not only selfless but it's about action.  It doesn't sit around waiting for the other person to move.  It's more about doing what is right. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank You for sending your darling Son Jesus to die on the fact for my sins.  Thank You that even thought  I continue to mess up, You continue to forgive me.  You love me in spite of my faults.  Help me to be more loving with a love that is patient, kind, does not envy, is not puffed up.  Help me to forgive.  It's not about me but it's about letting Your light shine for others to see.  Help me to move self out of the way.  I realize that because I am bringing this to You, Satan is going to come up against.  When that happens, help me to respond the way You responded when tempted, with the Word.  Lord, I just want to be better.  Thank You already for answering my prayer.  I believe that it is already done.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment