Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Peace Be Still

Jesus Himself was in the stern, asleep on the cushion; and they woke Him and said to Him, "Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?"  Mark 4:38



Sometimes I cannot seem to quiet the voices inside my head.  There is so much going on in my life right now.  I'm going through changes. Transitions...is what I like to call it.  It's the time in my life when I'm about to move to another level.  How do I know this?  Experience. I can feel the stretching and the growing pains.  I can feel the bad behaviors being broken.  I can see people shifting out of my life.  I catch myself trying to hold on to things that God is telling me to let go.  The experience is actually amazing.  Yet and still, I'm a little afraid.  Who wouldn't be afraid of the unknown?  It would be so much better if this could happen without me having to go through the storm. 

There is, however, one blessed assurance I have and that is that God is right here with me riding through this storm.  It doesn't matter how strong the winds get, if water gets in the boat. I won't capsize.  Let the thunder and lightening come.  God is my refuge and my strength, a very present help in the time of trouble.  I am not going to drown because my soul has been anchored in Jesus.  At times I feel like the disciples crying out, "Master, carest thou not that I am about to perish."  Even though I know in my heart that this is not the case, that negative spirit of doubt still has a way of sneaking in some time.  I believe that just like the disciples there are times when God just wants to try our faith.  The test is not meant to frighten us but instead it is meant to prompt us to pray.  Even when we are experiencing doubt about our future, our security should come from knowing that God has the situation under control. Jesus was sleeping on the boat in the middle of a major storm.  And when the disciples woke him up, He still did not panic.  He simply spoke to the storm and the winds and the waves obeyed Him.  What a mighty God we serve!  I don't know how many times I have to tell myself that it is not about what I see but it's about the God I serve.  Situations in my life are just temporary.  Ask yourself one question.  'Has God ever let you down?'  I don't even know you and I can answer that question for you.  The answer is "No".  He may not come when you want Him but He is always on time.  There is not a detail of your life that God is not aware of, even those parts we try to hide from Him.  He sees our pain even when we wear a smile.  He knows that you are worried.  Those nights you stay up wondering what that pain is that you have been feeling the past few weeks but have been too afraid to go to the doctor.  He knows those nights you lie awake wondering where you are going to get the money to pay that bill.  He knows you are wondering about your relationship, worried about your children.  All these things the Father knows and He is speaking to your spirit and saying, "Peace be still."  You just have to trust Him.  Right now you are at a crossroads.  Either you are gioing to let fear overtake you or you are going to exercise your faith and stand firmly on the rock.  The choice is yours. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

There is just so much noise inside my head right now.  I want to believe that everything is going to be okay but right now I must admit that I am not sure.  I need reassurance Lord.  I need Your wisdom.  Show me the way to go.  Help me to go through this process without grumbling, leaning and depending on You.  I trust You Lord.  Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.  I submit to Your will.  Even in the midst of the storm I will continue to give You all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment