Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Diamond in the Rough

Some days I just want to throw my hands up and give up.   I know that there is a purpose behind the pain I have had to endure in my light. But how much disappointment can I take?  And just when I think that I can't stand anymore I open the word.  First I read the story of Joseph.  You know Joseph...sold into slavery by his family.  Subjected by Potiphar's wife and thrown into jail for doing the right things.  Pressure upon pressure upon pressure.  I can only imagine how many times he wanted to throw his hands up and say "Forget it, I give up!"  As I sat there and read the story looking for some ray of hope I happened to glance down at my wedding ring.  The diamond seemed to be shining extremely bright at this very moment.  Almost instantly, I thought about how at one point the diamond that was set so beautifully in my wedding ring was once a piece of coal. 

Let's explore how diamonds are created.  I did a little research and discovered that diamonds are formed at high-pressure high-temperature conditions existing at depths of 140 to 190 kilometers in the Earth's mantle.  And this isn't just light pressure.  The pressure endured to produce a diamond is at least 435,113 pounds per square inch at a temperature of at least 752 degrees Fahrenheit (400 Celsius). There is no other way for this precious jewel to be formed except to undergo pressure.  In fact if the pressure or the temperature falls below these two points, only graphite will be produced.  So pressure is necessary.  And in the same way that pressure must be applied in order for the diamond to be formed.  In fact the word "Diamond" comes from the Greek word "Adamas", which means indestructible. 

What does this mean for me?  It means that I can rejoice in my trials and tribulations.  Why?  Because God is controlling  heat and the pressure.  He know better than me what flaws I have and what I need in order to live a life that is dedicated to serving Him.  Even though I may think that I have endured enough, God sees things differently.  He has the ability to see further down the road.  And for this I am grateful.  Like Joseph I may not understand why I have to go through the things that I am going through right.  Why every time I seem to have a little bit of breathing room something comes along to try and break me down.  One verse has helped me stand during times of extreme pressure.  This verse gives clear instructions on what I should do when faced with varying tests and trials.  This verse clearly states, 'Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Romans 12:12  As a Christian I have every reason to rejoice.  I can rejoice in the hope I have in future glory. And even more importantly I can never stop praying.  It's about having a spirit of prayer.  David prayed seven times a day and Daniel was known to pray three times a day.  Sometimes I barely make time to pray once.  This has to change.  I must be consistent in my prayer life.  It is in my devotion time that God is able to speak to me and provide me with a peace that surpasses all my understanding.  It is in this time that I am reminded that I am simply a diamond in the rough.  What you see before you is not the finished product.  Yes, I have flaws but God is at work and when He has tried me, I will come forth as pure gold. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

I come before You as humbly as I know how asking for forgiveness. Right now I don't understand what is going on in my life right now.  I seem to be on a roller coaster of emotions, filled with ups and downs.  I haven't done the best job of STANDING in the midst of pressure.  I know that You won't put more on me than I can bear.  So today I am asking for strength.  Help me not to be a complainer but instead a rejoicer.  Lord I put all my trust in You.  I know that You will never let me down. Thank you Father.  I will forever give you all the glory, honor and the praise.  In Jesus' Wonderful Name I pray Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Mona, all I can say is ouch! This was right on time for me today. It's like you were right in my heart and brain took the thoughts and feelings right out and wrote them down.

    Thank you for writing, and thank God for giving you the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete