Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Insanity

There is a popular workout series that's out right now called 'Insanity'.  My sister and brother-in-law did it and I have decided to start it.  As I sat there contemplating on when I was going to start my latest exercise routine, the Word of God begin to quicken my spirit.  I begin to think about all the insane things that I have done over the years.  Albert Einstein stated that the definition of insanity is 'doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'.  I begin to think about how many times I have done just that.  The times when I attempted to take back control of my life from God, trying to do things in my own strength.  Each and every time achieving the same meaningless results. Often times taking the long way around to the blessing God had for me.  There were many reasons that I took back control (or at least thought I took back control), the primary one being that God was just taking too long.  In my opinion, 'I had been in the storm too long'.

But now that I look back on things, I have to ask myself where did it really get me?  To know better is to do better, I can hear my mom and dad and my second grade teacher, Mrs. Douglass say.  And I most certainly knew right from wrong.  I could clearly feel the Spirit speaking to me telling me to "But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the LORD's victory." II Chronicles 20:17  As I reflect on different relationships in my life and my need to get my point across when clearly the Lord was telling me to "Be silent. Pray my child."  Yet and still I insisted on speaking up for fear of being walked on.  Or what about when God clearly showed me that someone was not good for me and yet I continued participating in the negative activities that always seemed to come about in their company.  I have taken jobs without praying and have been miserable.  I have failed to read my  Bible regularly and pray regularly only to experience a period of drought, feeling like God had forsaken me.  Even when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that 'God will never leave me nor forsake me'.  There are times that I have felt like a failure because I had not achieved certain goals so I would complain all the time.  I had forgotten the scripture that said  'God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns'. Philippians 1:6 

As a child of the King, we must remember that nothing that we do is about us.  It is all about glorifying God.  When we are at work, when we are at church, in our homes, at the grocery store, driving in our cars...someone is always watching waiting to see what your response will be and more times than not, some of them are hoping that you will fail.  But don't get discouraged.  There may be a lot of things that you and I have done over and over again hoping to achieve different results but there is one thing I know that will always achieve a positive outcome and that is PRAYER. Your own direct channel to the Almighty God.  Your access is not limited, call on Him anytime.  In fact the Bible tells us to  'Pray without ceasing'.  I Thess. 5:17  What does that mean to the saints?  Keep on praying.  And as you continue to pray, let your prayer become praise.  There is just something about knowing that I can talk to the Father and He hears me.  I used to hear the preacher say, "He's never to busy. He may not come when you want Him, but He's always on time."

Most Gracious Heavenly,

Help me to remember the spiritual discipline of prayer.  Before I move to explore any other avenues let me first turn to You.  Grant me sustaining power to make it through the storm.  Let me remember that no matter how dark the night, daylight is coming.  I will forever give You all the glory, honor and the praise You so richly deserve.  In Jesus' precious name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment