Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Contentment

Vision is limited, more often than not, when left wandering in the wilderness.  When I have personally been in a wilderness experience I find myself focused more on my hurt and pain and discomfort more than anything.  All too often I find myself unable to see any relief in sight.  That is until I am remember to 'look to the hills from whence cometh my help'.  One thing that I am learning and becoming more comfortable in is 'welcoming my wilderness experience', whatever it may be.  Just knowing that it is God who has not just allowed, and even led me to this place gives me comfort.  Comfort? I see the question mark on your face.  Yes, comfort!  How?  Because as the popular saying goes...'if God brings me to it, He will most certainly bring me through it'.  Think about one of the first Bible verses we learn...the 23rd Psalm.  Verse 4 which says, 'Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for You are with me'.  What you and I have to learn to do is look for the vineyards in the wilderness that God has strategically placed for us right in the path of the wilderness.  Have you ever been right smack dab in the middle of a trial, wondering how you were going to make it and suddenly you feel a sense of peace (that's somebody praying for you).  Or maybe you take out your Bible and start to read and instantly you feel renewed.  Or maybe you are right at your breaking point and you receive an encouraging word from a friend at just the right time.  You had decided to stay home from church but something in your spirit said "GO" and you receive a much needed word.  Although you may not be able to see the resources of the Lord when we are stuck between a rock and a hard place, you must still trust God.  Who else has a proven history of being able to supply water in dry places?

I read a quote on yesterday that said, 'I am no longer afraid of the storm, for I have learned to sail in my ship'. Louisa May Alcott  How many times have you heard that your storms serve a purpose?  Too many times to count is my response.  How many times do you have to hear it before you start believing it?  When do you finally stop whining and accept the process?  God is the only one who knows how to bring out of you that which is enduring.  That kind of stick-ti-tive-ness that made Paul write the words....'for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.'. Phil. 4:11-12 That is why I am able to smile while riding through the storm.  This journey of trust is about knowing that trouble won't last always..  Whether it be 4 minutes, 40 days, or 400 years....stop treating temporary situations as permanent fixtures.  Always crying "Woe is me" in every bad situation instead praising God for who He is and what is about to do.   That's really what it is all about. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father:

I just want to take a minute to say "Thank you Father for the storm."  Thank You that you thought enough about me to not leave me in my current state.  Forgive me for those times that I have grumbled and moan blaming you for my pain.  Help me to see past my current circumstance and look unto the hills for my help so that You can get the glory out of my life.  In Jesus' precious name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment