Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, January 23, 2012

One, Two...Punch

'Pray continually'.  I Thessalonians 5:17

My Saturday's for the past month have been spent taking two of my daughters to basketball games.  This past Saturday while enjoying my youngest daughter's game, the Holy Spirit began to speak to me. (Thank God that I am in tune with the Holy Spirit and I can hear Him talking to me no mater where I am.)  This is her first year playing basketball. In spite of this she has picked up the game very well.  During this particular game I watched as she raced up and down the court.  On several possessions she played the roll of the point guard and like clockwork as she dribbled up and down the court looking for one of her teammates, she would pass the ball and SWOOSH a layup.  Her sisters' and I started saying, "Babygirl got that one, two, punch."  And as the Holy Spirit spoke to me I started thinking about how this relates to my prayer life.  Each and every time I pray I'm giving the assist up to God, giving Him total control to make the finishing move, scoring every time.  There was one unique piece of her point guard play. She only passed the ball to one particular teammate.  You see, she had confidence that this person was going to make the correct move.  She was not going to turn the ball over.  She was going to make decisions that was best for the team.  Isn't that just like God?

The problem arises when we decide to skip our quiet time with God.  We decide that our way is a much better way.  We don't pray.  And if we do pray, it's just about asking for something and not an attempt to build your  relationship with God.  There is no assist. Instead we take our lives in our own hands becoming a 'ball hog' by always driving to the basket and not seeking the help from the One who has proven to have a guaranteed return.  You see, my daughter has come to rely on her teammate.  She spends time with her in practice.  At this point in the season, she has played several games with her and her role in the game has been proven. And if you ask yourself hasn't God already proven Himself to you?  Hasn't he answered your prayer time and time and again? Proven Himself to be consistent in your life?  If we are to make it in this life we must do so by keeping God first in our lives.  Let prayer be the assist that takes us to the life we have always wanted and the life that God wants for us.  A life in line with the will of God.  A life that even when trials come we continue to shine and trust God to make decisions that our best for our life. During my daughter's season there will be times that my daughter dribbles down the court and passes the ball to her teammate and she misses.  But glory be to God, that when we pray we never have to worry about a negative result.  The mere fact that we know that God is always listening is a win-win for the believer. God is the one who has our best interest at heart.  He wants nothing but the best for us and will push us to become better if we let Him.  We must give up control and not be a 'ball hog'.  Pray always and allow God to make the difference. You and God together will have that One, Two...Punch. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank You for the privilege of prayer.  Thank You for being a merciful God. A God of grace. I want to become a person of prayer, realizing that nothing happens when I don't pray and everything happens when I do pray. Father, I realize that in order for things to change in my life...for me to become the person You want me to be I must seek Your will.  Please forgive me for the times I have been disobedient, neglecting my prayer life. Those times when I have tried to do things on my own.  I submit to Your will and to Your way. Change me in the way You see fit. In Jesus' Precious Name I pray Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment