Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, November 28, 2011

Looking Up

I am often amazed at the different things the Holy Spirit reveals to me in my quiet time with God.  How the treasures in the Word of God are numerous.  I can read a story in the Bible that I have known since I was a little girl and all of a sudden the verses take on a whole new meaning.  This morning I was reading the story of the 'two fish and five loaves of bread'.  If you are like me you have probably heard this story all your life.  James Cleveland even sang a song about how 'little becomes much when you place it in the Master's hands'.   

Mark 6:41 says, Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven, and blessed them.  Then, breaking the loaves into pieces, he kept giving the bread to he disciples so they could distribute it to the people.  He also divided the fish for everyone to share. 

The setting of this story takes place after Jesus had been teaching and by this time He had quite a large following.  Now the disciples still not getting the big picture and realizing the power of the Man with whom they traveled saw all the people and the late hour and just wanted to send them away.  I can imagine that they looked around and saw all the people and knew how hungry they were and thought to themselves "How are we going to feed all these people?  We better send them away before we insight a riot."  I can see their heads hanging low, discouraged, not knowing what to do.  They weren't thinking about looking up.  In fact, they were probably looking down.  It made me think about how I am at times.  When all I can see is the situation around me, the bills that keep coming in the mail, the need for a better job, the stress of raising children, and on and on.  Instead of looking up to heaven I'm looking all around at what I have and not what God can do with what I have if I would only give it to Him.  Case in point: Have you ever had that problem and  you decided to pray about it and all of a sudden little things start changing?  I have and so I know what a difference looking up to God can make!  What an awesome teaching opportunity this situation for Jesus! He knew the secret.  And He thought enough of us to share it with us. 

You see, it doesn't matter what you have or what your current situation may be.  You may be looking at your bank statement wondering what you are going to shuffle around this month just to make it to next month.  You might be saying that I have tried everything I can and my spouse still won't act right and I just want to give up.  You might be tired of being mistreated on your job but can't quit.  You have had about all the disrespect from your child and your family is on one right now trying to run your life.  Maybe you have a dream and you don't think you have the resources to make the dream a reality.  All you can see from looking around is what you don't have.  What is missing.  Maybe you are asking yourself, "When is it going to be my turn?"  My challenge to you today is that instead of looking down or looking around,  try looking up.  Looking up has a way of changing your perspective.  Realizing your limitations and allowing a limitless God to step in and give you what is missing.  Thanking God for what you do have and asking Him to bless it.  Your job, your house, your misbehaving child, your spouse.  Your family (however crazy they may be).  There isn't anything we can do in and of our own strength and when we try we are often disappointed.  The time has come for you to trust that God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory.  Allow Him to turn your 'little into much'  by giving it to Him and placing it in His hands.  Not holding on but letting go completely and then being obedient to His will.  And then step back and watch God!

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank you for the awesome privilege of prayer.  It is during this time that I can come and share with you everything that is going on in my life.  Lord today I want to ask forgiveness. I have been guilty of looking at my current situation more than looking to you. I have been looking around and down, sometimes expecting limited people to meet my need.  But no more.  I look to You, Heavenly Father.  For You are the only one capable of meeting my every need.  Thank you for sustaining me even when I didn't realize it.  For keeping my mind and giving me peace.  I know that with You I can do all things.  It doesn't matter what my resources are because you are able to multiply them and make them enough.  Help me to be satisfied with 'enough'.  In Jesus' Precious Name I pray Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment