Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Stop Your Complaining

Turn on any television , watch any new program, read any newspaper and you will find a plethora of bad news.  Not only that, but if you are anything like me and have a normal life with ups and downs, twists and turns, you don't have to do any of those things to find some bad news. All you have to do is look around you, open the mailbox, listen to your ungrateful child, miss a few hours of sleep, deal with a crazy boss or know-it-all coworkers.   And what usually goes along with all of that, complaining.  On any given day we could all find something to complain about.  But I wonder if every time we felt the urge to complain we actually thanked God, how much better our lives would be. 

The Psalmist writes in  Psalm 34, 'I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together. I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. (1-4)

Now I was not there when he wrote these words, but I would venture to say that 'all was not perfect in his world'. The Psalmist chose to do something different.  Instead of looking upon his circumstance and how dark the night, he chose to look to God.  I often turn to the Psalms when I am at a loss for words to pray.  How fitting, when all may look bleak around you, to look to the hills from whence cometh your help.  That's really what it is all about.  The believer and the non-believer should have some distinct differences.  One difference is that even when we are tempted to let our heads hang low, it doesn't stay there for long.  We don't hope as those who have no hope.  Our hope is in God.  So stop your complaining and start praising Him.  For every reason you might have to complain I bet you  have something to be thankful for.  There are times in my life where I have a harder time finding those things to be thankful for I have learned that the reason for this is because I find myself looking for the extraordinary instead of finding God in the ordinary.  Things that I have started to take for granted like my family, good health, true friendships.  All these things that God has blessed me with.  When you come to realize that everything you have, you don't deserve, it becomes easier to 'bless the Lord at all times and praise Him continously.

Now maybe you haven't gotten to this point yet.  Verse 5 in the text above brings home the most important reason that we don't have to waste time complaining.  That reason is prayer.  Being able to lay it all out and tell it to God about it is something to be thankful for.  You don't have to worry about the perfect words or complete sentence.  All you have to do is speak from your heart.  And I am hear to tell you that He hears you. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank You so very much for the privilege of prayer.  There is no greater relief than being able to come to You and pour out my heart, not just with request but in praise.  Lord I thank you for everything that you have done in my life. I know there are times when I have taken for granted the blessings you have provided for me.  Help me not to develop a spirit of complaining but one of gratefulness.  Help me not to be selfish in my prayers but selfless, giving You the honor you so richly deserve.  All these things I ask in Your Precious Name Jesus Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment