Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Monday, April 26, 2010

There Is Still Hope

So much affliction, so much pain. When will it ever end? Take a moment and read Lamentations 3: 1 - 31. What a sad story. This had to be one of the darkest moments for Jeremiah. As a matter of fact it is rather depressing. But as I was sitting hear reading these verses I stopped. All of a sudden I read the words 'Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The unfailing love of the Lord never ends!' (vs 21-22) Jeremiah had just finished describing some of the sin and sorrow that was surrounding him, yet he still had hope. His hope was not in man, it was in Jesus.

How do you usually handle hopeless situations? Do you tend to focus only on what you can see? Let's take a lesson from Jeremiah who was in the very same situation. What did he do? First he refocused his attention. He took his eyes off his situation and placed them on God. He placed his focus on the one person who could actually change the situation. Then he remembered 'his unfailing love'. The love that would see him in his situation and show compassion on him. It's the kind of love that didn't worry about how he got there, God just loved him enough to not allow him to get to the point of complete destruction. He didn't care about the source of his pain. And we all know that some pain is self-inflicted. How? Because of our disobedience. God didn't even care about that. Why not? Because his mercies are new every morning. This means he refreshes our spirit. He gives us the opportunity to confess our sins, knowing that he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. You see, God's mercy is not just a withholding of punishment but it is God giving us help and showing compassion when we are afflicted. When we realize that God hasn't given up on us and chooses not to leave us in the state of total despair, we can shout Hallelujah!

Take the time today today to refocus your attention and remember God's unfailing love. Accept the fact that he doesn't want to leave you in the state that you are in, so he refreshes your spirit, grants you new mercies every morning. Over the next few days when you might start to beat yourself up about something you may have done, tell yourself and 'Yet I still have hope!'

Dear Lord,

Thank you for your mercy. Thank you for your compassion. Thank you because you see me in my current state and decide not to leave me that way. I am so very grateful. I confess my sins to you. Thank you for forgiving me. I love you Lord. Help me to always realize the hope I have in you. In Jesus' Name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment