Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Friday, June 15, 2012

If Only...I Will

For she said to herself, “If I only touch his garment, I will be made well.” Matthew 9:21

Have you ever been so full with something that the Lord has revealed to you that you just have to share it with somebody else?!?!  That is definitely how I feel today.  I can't take all the credit for the impregnation of this thought (Thank you Pastor Gaddis).  It is so awesome to be able to sit at work and listen to the Word.  And the more I sat and meditated on the verse above, the more the Holy Spirit began to reveal things to me.  I couldn't wait to get home from work so I could start writing. I don't know about you but one of the major struggles I have had in this Christian walk was my faith.  It seems that just as soon as I utter the words Amen the devil begins to try to creep into my thoughts telling me that it won't happen.  Relationship woes...I tell myself "nothing will ever change.  Financial difficulties...I tell myself  "I'm just not meant to have more than I have".   Major illness... I tell myself "I'm just going to learn to live with it".  There have been  times when I was at the end of my rope; I knew that I needed to pray so I did.  But my level of faith was no where near where it needed to be.  I may have uttered the same words as this woman with an issue of blood but instead of really trying to get to Jesus I was trying to figure out what I could do in my own strength. Anybody else been there? 

We've all heard this story in sermons for years. I remember reading it as a child in the collection of blue Bible story books my parents had.  Here we have a woman who has been dealing with this issue of blood for twelve long years.  We don't know what her day to day life was like but I like to imagine her just peddling along, going through the motions.  Not complaining, perhaps even comfortable.  Trying to make the best of the cards she had been dealt.  But on this day maybe she heard the chatter that Jesus had just healed a paralytic man and even now was headed through town to go see about the ruler's daughter so she began to move toward Jesus, maybe slowly at first but then as the excitement built in her spirit about who she was about to encounter her steps became more determined. (Sidenote: Our hearts should always be glad and excited at the thought of encountering Jesus.) There she was no longer embarassed by her situation or concerned with the delicate nature of her condition.  She had one goal - to get to Jesus.   Placing myself in her shoes, I'm thinking I probably would have prayed about it initially maybe even for a few years but twelve?  As the years rolled on I would have eventually said, "I'm just going to learn to live with it."  But that's not what she did.  Maybe there were times when her faith waivered.  Life will do that to you sometimes. But even after twelve long years she had enough faith to know that if she could just get to Jesus.  It makes me think about a bad, stressful beginning of the week at work and me thinking to myself if I can just get to Prayer Meeting and Bible Study, I know I will be able to make it through the rest of the week.  Or maybe when I've just gotten some bad news on Saturday and I go to bed thinking, If only I can get to church on Sunday morning, I know God will show up.  Or things not going right at home and I think to myself, If I can just get to my prayer closet and turn it over to Jesus, I know He will work it out!  Ever been there?

You see, I believe that there are just some things after a while you ought to know.  You shouldn't have the same faith you had when you first got saved. Where's your confidence?  The Bible tells us in Psalm 146:3, 'Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save'. No matter what the situation you should be able to say that God is able.  I don't have to see it and no matter how long it takes I know that God is going to do it.  I don't worry about the method because I trust God's motives and that is 'all things are working together for my good' and His glory.  Whatever your situation, no matter how long it has been going on I dare you to say 'If only I can just get to Jesus, I know everything is going to be alright'.  And I challenge you not to stop there.  With an attitude of expecancy, start praising God. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Almighty God, Holy One, Redeemer, Waymaker. I just can't help but praise You, in spite of my situation You are still worthy.  Please forgive me for those times my faith has waivered. Lord increase my faith.  Help me to be persistent while I'm pressing my way to you. Because I know that once I turn the issue over to you everything is going to be alright.   Help me to encourage others who may be weak in their faith.   In Jesus' Precious Name I pray Amen. 

Life Application:

1.  What situation(s)  in my life right now am I trying to handle in my own strength? 
2.  In what ways can I be more effective in getting to Jesus, i.e. read my Bible more, pray more?

No comments:

Post a Comment