Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Walk Worthy of Your Calling, Part III

...to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Ephesian 4:3


So how have you been doing on your self-examination through the eyes of the Word?  Me?  I've been doing okay some days and on other days I have to admit that I have failed horribly.  I have to do a better job with my tongue. (I'll be talking about that on different day.)  There are days when I ask myself what is it all for?  Paul ended these verses by answering that exact question.  Why must we be in the right position, with the right perspective and the right posture?  So that you can work toward the right purpose - 'to preserve the unity of the Spirit of the bond of peace'.  This means doing things not as men pleasers but unto the Lord.

I know that you may be thinking that all this is just too difficult.  Let me clue you in on something.  What Spirit is Paul talking about?  The Holy Spirit, of course.  You see, because of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit it's really not that difficult to get along with others as we think, especially our brothers and sisters in the body of Christ. Why not?  Because the Holy Spirit is the divine spiritual ligament that holds us together.  Put aside those petty differences and work at getting along.  He/she may have a different background or come from a different part of town.  You may find yourself irritated at the immaturity of some believers in the body of Christ.  Lest we forget, it took GOD and the Word to bring about a change in your life.  It's not about being the best of friends, when it comes to the cause of Christ we all must work together.  We must get past showing the qualities that Paul talked about in verse 2 to those we like only and move to showing them to those who we don't like or those who might not like us. 

True unity in the body of believers already exists through the work of the Holy Spirit but we must work hard to preserve it.  Be diligent - which suggests difficulty and a resolute determination to overcome the difficulty.  Simply put - WORK AT IT!  Take a moment to think about those things that are important to you.  Those relationships you hold near and dear.  The one's that you wouldn't want to end.  I bet you have had to show humility, gentleness, patience, tolerance and unconditional love in order to maintain those relationships.  Now God is challenging us to show those same qualities to everyone we come in contact with.  I know it seems difficult but remember God has provided each of us with the abilities we didn't have and given us every spiritual blessing. 

As children of God we should always be growing, asking God to examine our lives so that we can see those things within us that are not like Him.  It's not the easiest thing to apologize when you don't think you have done anything wrong, but you can.  And how do you handle the person who is smiling in your face while talking behind your back or about someone you love?  Will you still pray for that individual when he/she is going through?  With God you can!  Ask yourself the next time you are faced with a difficult situation - "How can I show humility, gentleness, and patience?  Help me Lord to show forbearance to my brother and my sister in love."  How else are we set apart from the world?  Jesus himself said, 'by this shall all men know that you are my disciples if you have love one for another'. 

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Thank You for the revelation through Your Word.  Let it be a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my pathway.  Help me to hide Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you.  Help me to bring every ambition, thought, reaction to situations under the control of the Holy Spirit. I want to be conformed to the image of Your Son.  Give me the spirit of discernment in my relationships to always respond in love.  Continue to expose the sin in my life.  Thank You for another chance to do it right. Let my life be an example so that others may see You in me.  In Jesus' Name Amen.


Life Application:

1.  To walk worthy means being aware of all of our relationships. Identify those people who are  hindering your walk.  Things?  Pray and turn them over to God. 
2.  What immediate changes can I make to work at preserving unity in the body of Christ - in my church?  In my home?  On my job?  

No comments:

Post a Comment