Sometimes you have to encourage yourself. Some times you have to speak victory during the test. No matter how you feel, speak the Word and you will be healed. Speak over yourself. Encourage yourself in the Lord. (lyrics by Donald Lawrence)

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Press

...forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13b-14, ESV

Some days no matter how hard I try it is difficult to move forward.  My entire life I have been harder on myself than anyone else could ever be.  So when something is out of order in my life or doesn't go according to plan, I struggle.  There...I said it.  Yes me, the Encourager, writer of this blog, struggles. I'm that one they talk about smiling on the outside while crying on the inside because I don't always know how to deal with the challenges that I have to face. I struggle to be all that God wants me to be, often times falling short.  The difference though in my struggle is that I choose not to give up.  Instead I continue to PRESS.  You see, I have an objective.  A goal ahead of me. My ultimate goal is heaven.  But in the meanwhile my goal is to continue steadfast in the ministry God has purposed me for. 

As of late this has been a little more difficult.  My life seems to be a constant battle of ups and downs.  For a while things seem to be going along well and then a shift in the wind occurs and I'm in storm once again.  And the hardest part for me in this storm is that I know that it is just a test.  God is taking me through to pull more out of me to be used for His glory.  It doesn't mean I like it though.  Sometimes in the midst of my storm I feel like I'm all churched out. (Tamela Mann - Take Me to the King).  I just need a minute to breathe.  Now I know there are some saints who may read this that may say this is not a very Christian response.  But I beg to differ.  Jesus Christ, when on the eve of the cross, when to His Heavenly Father, in agony asking 'if it be possible remove this cup from me, nevertheless, not my will but thine be done'.  God never said that it would be easy.  But He did tell us that we could make it through.  By leaning on the everlasting arms of Jesus.  By trusting in His Word.  There are times when I am afraid that this trial is going to be the one that finally overtakes me.  Yet I find a way to make it through.  I continue to PRESS.  I make a conscious decision to stay my course.  Through every disappointment, difficulty and discouragement - Heaven is my goal. 

How do I PRESS?  Mainly with praise.  These past few months have taught me that through every trial God is still good.  And once I begin praising Him I can't help but feel better.  I become a little bit more determined to continue on.  To finish my race.  Life happens.  Obstacles come.  But I don't have the option of stopping short of my goal.  I may be a little weak at times but that is when I begin to meditate day and night on my treasure chest of scriptures.  Verses likes II Corinthians 4:16-18, 'Therefore we do not lose heart, though outwardly we are are wasting away, inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentatry afflictions are achieving a far greater worth in glory, so I fix my eyes not on what I can be see but what I cannot see that is eternal' when I can't see past the hear and now.   Jeremiah 29:11, 'For I know the plans that I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future' when I start to feel like the situation is hopeless.  II Timothy 1:7,  'For God has not given me the Spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind' when the devil tries to play tricks on my mind. A good friend of mine shared with me this statement.  "The devil would like nothing better than for you to feel defeated without a fight". But didn't you know the devil's already been defeated at Calvary when they hung my Savior on the cross, put nails in His hands and feet, a crown of thorns on His head, pierced Him in the side, and buried Him in a borrowed tomb.  But thank God this story doesn't end there because three days later He got up with ALL POWER. And you and I can stand on this power.  We don't have to live a defeated life.  We just have to go to God and admit that we are weak, knowing that it is during our times of weakness that God shows Himself mighty and strong  Keep pressing on towards your goal and remember you are not alone.   

Most Gracious Heavenly Father,

Life for me lately hasn't been much fun.  It appears to be one struggle after another.  I've been close to giving up and throwing in the towel.  But then I remember that I am not in this by myself and You only want what's best for me.  And sometimes You have to push and poke and pull to get out of me what You have deposited in me.  So Lord help me to press on through every trial, praising Your Name all the way through.  In Jesus' Precious Name I pray Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment